Ugly but efficient scanner made from scrap...

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Konos93a
E-book readers owned: kobo aura,kindle 1,kindle pw3,pocketbook inkpad 2
Number of books owned: 3000

Re: Ugly but efficient scanner made from scrap...

Post by Konos93a »

nice job

what camera do u have ?
is there any issues you are you facing with your scanner?

if u can upload any scanned images
cappie
E-book readers owned: lenovo 7" tablet
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by cappie »

Hi Konos,
This is just a Samsung PL210. It's about six years old now. Shoots at about 14MP. I'm actually finding the images better for OCR than the DSLR. I had to downsize the DSLR to get decent results but now I don't have that problem.

This file went straight into scan taylor, rotate, find page, deskew, find content, adjust margin, output at 1x resolution... so nothing fancy there either. I'd need to be more careful if I was printing from the images, but because I OCR and reformat it works great. I need to straighten the camera a little, you can see the keystoning, but since it worked for what I wanted I just left it. I have to take the camera on and off as I use it for other things, so couldn't see the point in fine-tuning!

Cheers,
Anthony
Attachments
Marco_Polo_036.jpg
Mohib
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Mohib »

I used a small, round bubble level to quickly get the camera parallel to the platen. See the second picture here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3007&start=20#p17781

from my original design when I also used the bike break and a point and shoot. First put the bubble on the platen and see where the bubble settles to as the table may not be level, and then put it on the camera and match the camera's tilt to it.
Last edited by Mohib on 04 Jul 2017, 02:27, edited 1 time in total.
cappie
E-book readers owned: lenovo 7" tablet
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by cappie »

Mohib wrote: 04 Jul 2017, 02:15 First put the bubble on the platen and see where the bubble settles to as the able may not be level, and then put it on the camera and match the camera's tilt to it.
Genius solution! Thanks Mohib.
Konos93a
E-book readers owned: kobo aura,kindle 1,kindle pw3,pocketbook inkpad 2
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by Konos93a »