Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Archivar - wooden scanner based on Archivist

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Archivar - wooden scanner based on Archivist

Post by daniel_reetz » 15 Nov 2017, 19:14

Makes sense to me. I like the idea of camera alignment marks on the frame - in my case, I painted the frames after they were laser cut so it was not economical. One suggestion was to use stickers instead of laser marking.

When this project was started, 3D printing at the hobbyist level was pretty crude. There were some false starts getting camera bases printed. Now, it would be totally doable to print camera alignment bases and I think it's almost a must-do.

duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by duerig » 16 Nov 2017, 09:53

I was never able to ensure that the frame was square enough for camera alignment to just work with fixed placement of the camera. The card-and-mirror camera alignment system came out of that to allow a perfectly aligned camera even if the frame is slightly out of square. The big disadvantage of the card-and-mirror system, though, is that after alignment you really don't want to touch the camera again because it is adjusted to good alignment rather than being constrained into a good alignment.

So I will definitely look forward to more details/photos showing your progress on this aspect of the design.

-Jonathon Duerig

blauer
Number of books owned: 568

Post by blauer » 02 Dec 2017, 08:51

We paint the frames black too, but we thought to engrave deep enough to put color in the engravings.
Similar to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KInVajTt6Mo

Would look supreme and offers possibilities for serial numbers, numbering for putting everything together, branding etc.

Not sure yet how well do that in repeatable good quality though. Yes! There is laser markable foil, that can be applied like a sticker afterwards - good idea too.

Card an mirror alignment! I remembered that I read about that method once, but never found the manual again - didn't look in the archivist quill pages :D Its a great way to find out how good the alignment actually is, when using alternative methods.
We added some additional bracelets to help with the squareness of the whole frame, and have it in control pretty well now!

No Progress so far, the contract for our workshop bursted, we are looking for a new and bigger one at the moment. Sorry --- no archivar's for christmas :(
We had the first snow here in Steyr, Austria this week.

Greetings,
David
http://www.archivar.net - archivar is a german diy-scanner based on archivist