Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

How to choose which build?

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.
Sonja

How to choose which build?

Post by Sonja » 01 Apr 2010, 08:42

I'm a n00b here. How should I go about to decide which build is best for me? Is there a top 3 list of agreed-upon "best" scanner blueprints in terms of how well they work? Do some versions cost considerably more than others? Does it help if I have access to a Makerbot or Reprap to print plastic parts?

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: How to choose which build?

Post by daniel_reetz » 01 Apr 2010, 10:13

Hey Sonja,

First off, welcome - we're glad to have you.

I'd suggest building the base from my "new standard scanner" design, which was designed to address exactly your situation. I haven't finalized the platen part of the build plans yet, but the base/column/etc is very nice. Take a look, and then look at some of the other builds, and see what you can see.

I may be taking a break from the forums over the weekend, I'm so awfully burnt out on talking about book scanning and thinking about book scanners right now.

Sonja

Post by Sonja » 01 Apr 2010, 16:27

Is this project http://bkrpr.org/doku.php?id=start related to DIY Book Scanner?

StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Post by StevePoling » 02 Apr 2010, 01:35

Sonja wrote:I'm a n00b here. How should I go about to decide which build is best for me?
My opinion (which is worth every penny you're paying for it) is that you build SOMETHING rude and crude out of Cardboard and Duck tape. Lash something together and digitize a book with it. Note your pain points. Then look at each of the build descriptions and find the one that best suits you.

Plautus

Post by Plautus » 02 Apr 2010, 23:30

If you are just looking for a design to duplicate, as a n00b, go ahead and do the easiest/best documented one that fits your needs. The "new standard" one seems to be just the ticket, if that will work for you.

Also, I second the notion of just building something, and expecting some problems/inefficiencies. You will not make a perfect scanner plan that survives the building/testing process, you need to start putting the thing together to see what works and what doesn't.
Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly.

Antoha-spb
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by Antoha-spb » 05 Apr 2010, 08:57

Before you decide which design to follow it is good to list the key requirements, just for yourself. This will save time and money for 'upgrades' once you realize that the scanner you now own is not exactly what you need.

E.g. I was hurrying with my first scanner and made it not portable: had to rebuild it :?

If you are goind to order parts from a shop and just to assemble them, the best design is best-documented design, so in general Dan's 'standard' scanner is the optimal solution.