Another scanner design using plastic tubing

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

mariano collado
Number of books owned: 0

Another scanner design using plastic tubing

Post by mariano collado »

English/Español

Hello:
A few months ago, while I was looking for ideas to build a book scanner, I found the videos and the construction tutorial of David Landin's scanner. I found it a simple, economical and easy to use model. I decided to build a similar model that I had to modify according to the materials available in the local market, and I also introduced some innovations that I thought were convenient. Here I share the tutorial of my book scanner based on the model of Mr. Landin, whom I thank for sharing his noble work in such a didactic way.
My project is now incorporating the necessary software for processing images to form the finished digital book.
Mariano.

Hola:
Hace unos meses, mientras buscaba ideas para construir un scanner de libros encontré los videos y el tutorial de construcción del scanner de David Landin. Me pareció un modelo sencillo, económico y fácil de usar. Decidí construir un modelo similar que tuve que ir modificando de acuerdo a los materiales disponibles en el mercado local, además de introducir algunas innovaciones que creí convenientes. Les comparto aquí el tutorial de mi scanner de libros basado en el modelo del Sr. Landin, a quien agradezco el haber compartido su noble trabajo de una manera tan didáctica.
Mi proyecto está ahora en la incorporación del software necesario para el procesamiento de las imágenes que formen el libro digital terminado.
Mariano.
INSTRUCTIVO PARA LA CONSTRUCCIÓN DE UN ESCÁNER PARA LIBROS.pdf
This is the tutorial for building the scanner (Spanish)
(1.82 MiB) Downloaded 997 times
davidlandin
E-book readers owned: kindle

Re: Another scanner design using plastic tubing

Post by davidlandin »

Muchos gracias pelas fotos .
I am impressed with your excellent work, and the clear instructions. What kind of documents will you be scanning?

Bravo - well done! ;-)
David Landin
mariano collado

Thanks for your words, David. You are the Master ;)
The aim of building the scanner was to get the know-how to produce a popular model of book scanner in order to encourage and give technical support to anyone who needs it. The idea is that the potential users of my country take over this simple technology and do not depend on expensive commercial services. The purpose was not to scan own books.
Hug.
M.

Gracias por tus palabras, David. Tú eres el Maestro ;)
El objetivo de construir el scanner fue obtener el "know-how" en la fabricación de un modelo popular de scanner de libros para así poder alentar y dar apoyo técnico a todo aquel que lo necesite. La idea es que los potenciales usuarios de mi país se apropien de esta sencilla tecnología para que no dependan de costosos servicios comerciales. La finalidad no fue escanear libros propios.
Abrazo.
M.
mariano collado

NEW TUTORIAL VERSION / NUEVA VERSIÓN DEL TUTORIAL

NEW TUTORIAL VERSION / NUEVA VERSIÓN DEL TUTORIAL

English/Español

The purpose of this instruction is to make available a simple, cheap and effective technology for the digitization of books or printed materials. The design was taken from a home scanner built in the United Kingdom by David Landin, but some variants were introduced in order to improve its robustness, operability and versatility.

This scanner model was designed so that the capture of images does not need the assistance of any computer. Its operation, entirely mechanical, also gives it the possibility of operating with any type of camera, and even in locations without electric power.

The present instruction does not include information about the post-production process of the images captured by the scanner, for which there are open-source software to transform the pictures in a digital publication.

However, the important thing is to take the concept of design and the purpose of each of its pieces. The materials and solutions adopted by each constructor will depend on the availability and imagination of each case.

Good luck!
…………………………………

El propósito de este instructivo es poner a disposición una tecnología sencilla, económica y eficaz para la digitalización de libros o impresos encuadernados. El modelo se tomó de un escáner casero construido en el Reino Unido por David Landin, al que se le introdujeron variantes pensadas para mejorar su robustez, operatividad y versatilidad.

Este modelo de escáner está pensado para independizar el proceso de captura de las imágenes de una terminal informática que lo asista. Su funcionamiento, íntegramente mecánico, le confiere además la posibilidad de operar con cualquier tipo de cámara fotográfica, e incluso en locaciones sin energía eléctrica.

El presente instructivo no incluye información acerca del proceso de postproducción de las imágenes capturadas por el escáner, para lo cual pueden usarse aplicaciones informáticas de código abierto capaces de transformar las fotografías en una publicación digital.

De cualquier modo, lo importante es captar el concepto del diseño y la finalidad de cada una de las piezas que lo integran; los materiales y las soluciones adoptados por cada constructor dependerán de la disponibilidad y la imaginación correspondientes a cada caso.

Buena suerte!
Instructivo de construcción - version 2018.pdf
(582.75 KiB) Downloaded 739 times
diptico.jpg
NotABot

Post by NotABot »

Hi! Can I bother you with a few questions? How do you manage with the light? Is natural light enough for a HQ photo? If not, what kind of lamp gives the best results and where do you place it? I fear that the reflection of the lamp could ruin the picture. Thanks, mate!
mariano collado

Hello!
This scanner model does not have its own lighting system. You can use an artificial source, a natural source, or a combination of both. The intensity and location of the light source should be established by camera tests.
Regards!

Hola!
Este modelo de scanner no dispone de un sistema de iluminación propio. Se puede usar una fuente artificial, una natural, o una combinación de ambas. La intensidad y la ubicación de la fuente de iluminación deberán establecerse mediante ensayos de cámara.
Saludos!
Flopifloop

Post by Flopifloop »

Hi! Your model does interest me, it looks very simple to make. But as far as I'm a newbie here, I'm afraid of doing some mistakes. Could you translate the instructions into English and post it there, please? You surely will made it better than me with my middle English and 0-knowledges Spanish ^^.
glenleslie
E-book readers owned: Kindle - multiple platforms
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by glenleslie »

translate.google.com
unsummonable
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 5000

Post by unsummonable »

Flopifloop wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 07:33 Hi! Your model does interest me, it looks very simple to make. But as far as I'm a newbie here, I'm afraid of doing some mistakes. Could you translate the instructions into English and post it there, please? You surely will made it better than me with my middle English and 0-knowledges Spanish ^^.
glenleslie wrote: 14 May 2019, 19:39 translate.google.com
I'm late to the party! Since I'll soon be building my own version of this scanner I did my best with Google translate. Here is an English version of the instructions generously provided by mariano collado and based on the design by David Landin.
Attachments
Scanner construction instructions - version 2018 - english Google translation.pdf
(2.91 MiB) Downloaded 47 times
cday

Post by cday »

Worthy effort, but one thing anyone considering building a scanner based on David Landin's very original design should keep in mind is that he modified some details in later iterations: some details particularly relating to the platen angle were revised in his latter Instructables version, and in a small number of latter posts on the forum he suggested one or two further changes based on his later experience.

It would be good to have a summary of his final recommendations and I did start a thread which could be used for that, but so far it is only a 'placeholder' thread which could be used both for his final suggestions and also for later constructor feedback. Anyone planning a build would therefore be advised to search the forum thoroughly before starting.