Book Shooter MK-V by Hiroshi Yanagisawa

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

geekborg
Number of books owned: 0

Book Shooter MK-V by Hiroshi Yanagisawa

Post by geekborg »

Hi,

I would like to share the book scanning stand from Hiroshi Yanagisawa called Book Shooter MK-V

It's a book stand for easy book scanning with a smartphone (book handler)

original video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZcYIXseXkg
original explanations : http://tges.blog117.fc2.com/blog-entry-249.html

Below are my modifications :

https://imgur.com/a/SE7pP
JeffB
E-book readers owned: Adobe Acrobat, Calibre, Kindle for Windows, perhaps others. Not sure.
Number of books owned: 200

Re: Book Shooter MK-V by Hiroshi Yanagisawa

Post by JeffB »

Interesting design. How well do the book scans look?
Konos93a
E-book readers owned: kobo aura,kindle 1,kindle pw3,pocketbook inkpad 2
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by Konos93a »

Hello sir

What device did you buy to trigger smartphone camera?
zbgns
E-book readers owned: Tolino, Kindle
Number of books owned: 600

Post by zbgns »

JeffB wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 21:29 Interesting design. How well do the book scans look?
I also like this design and made myself similar device.
I applied following modifications:
1. made of 3 mm High Impact Polystyrene Sheet (HIPS);
2. the construction is glued and reinforced with screws and L-shaped elements (sheet are rather thin so glue itself doesn't give strong enough bond);
3. white color inside in order to have better light distribution (upper part of a page photographed is higher distance from the light source than the bottom part), however the white interior reflects the light and helps a page to be lighted more evenly; still far from perfection, though;
4. the lightning is different construction: I made it of LED tape (5 V, so it may be powered with standard phone charger or a powerbank) fixed in four rows to a rectangular board mounted in the bottom part of the bookscanner near the glass; owing to this the construction is very compact and portable, no any initial setup is necessary before starting scanning;
5. however I'm not fully satisfied with the lighting as due to using "warm white" LEDs (2700 - 3000K) pictures are somehow orangish, "neutral white" (4600K) may be better for this;
6. I use iPhone 7 as a camera (12 mega pixel), there is distance of 18 cm and the "physical" density is approx. 470 DPI.

I attached a sample picture. Quality a little bit reduced in order to meet the filesize limit.
1.jpg
The orange tone is usually not a problem. Pages with text may be binarized with no trouble (white background black letters). If preservation of color is necessary, the white balance may be easily corrected using software method.
2.jpg
Konos93a wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 05:52 What device did you buy to trigger smartphone camera?
This kind of device does the trick:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Shutter ... autifyAB=0
Konos93a
E-book readers owned: kobo aura,kindle 1,kindle pw3,pocketbook inkpad 2
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by Konos93a »

zbgns wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 19:11
Konos93a wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 05:52 What device did you buy to trigger smartphone camera?
This kind of device does the trick:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Shutter ... autifyAB=0
i made 2 scanners for one camera or smartphone and i scan some small books to see what mistakes happen rather than a 2 camera diybookscanner
i realize that with a bluetooth trigger there are connections problems and i need to reconnect after some pages.
i want to watch if with a cable trigger there are connections problem. i will buy one with a 3.5mm Jack with 4 pins (like headphones)and try to make an electric trigger.
zbgns
E-book readers owned: Tolino, Kindle
Number of books owned: 600

Post by zbgns »

iPhone 7 is not equipped with jack audio connector so it may be difficult to find a cable trigger. Maybe lightning jack adapter may help? I haven't tried this. I also encountered some connection problems with this bluetooth shutter, but only minor and find this the most convenient solution.
geekborg
Number of books owned: 0

Post by geekborg »

JeffB wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 21:29 Interesting design. How well do the book scans look?
I did not made this book shooter. I was just interested by theory of its design.
If i found an industrially made wooden book shooter, i will surely buy one and make a try.