FADGI Compliance?

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

ZebraMussel
Number of books owned: 8

FADGI Compliance?

Post by ZebraMussel »

Does anyone have experience measuring the FADGI compliance of a DIY scanner? I'd like to know how such a scanner would compare to commercial offerings. Are there any areas (resolution, color balance) that are particularly troublesome? Thanks.
L.Willms
E-book readers owned: Tolino Shine

Re: FADGI Compliance?

Post by L.Willms »

What does "FADGI" mean?
cday
Number of books owned: 0

Post by cday »

L.Willms wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 10:23 What does "FADGI" mean?

A Google search directs to the U.S. agency Federal Agencies Digitization Guidelines Initiative and at a quick look the standard referred to is likely the following:

Technical Guidelines for Digitizing Cultural Heritage Materials

Some of the other guidelines may possibly also be of interest.
Last edited by cday on 17 Mar 2019, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.
cday

Post by cday »

[No option now to delete unexplained spurious post, could a moderator please delete... ;) ]
HughAdam
E-book readers owned: OSHW E-Reader
Number of books owned: 10

Post by HughAdam »

scann

Post by scann »

ZebraMussel wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 10:14 Does anyone have experience measuring the FADGI compliance of a DIY scanner? I'd like to know how such a scanner would compare to commercial offerings. Are there any areas (resolution, color balance) that are particularly troublesome? Thanks.
So, there are several things were you can actually measure the DIY Book Scanners against the FADGI Guidelines, mainly the following:

1. lighting (the Archivist model uses a LED lamp with a 95 CRI); and
2. the type of cameras that you're using, and the settings for the camera.

The first one is relatively fixed (although if you prefer you could change the original SORAA lights that the Archivist uses to a white SORAA), while the second one depends a lot on the sort of camera that you can buy. So, in short, I think that the response is also that the hardware of the diy book scanner doesn't influence as much as the type of camera. Also, I don't know about anyone that has made this assessment, but it shouldn't be hard.

hope this helps.