Simple new scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

TJ-Shredder

Simple new scanner

Post by TJ-Shredder »

Inspired by all the works shown here, and driven by the need to keep costs low, I created a simple but robust scanner. I scanned already some dozen books successfully with it...
I built a simple wooden construction to hold the book (no costs, as I found the wooden parts in my basement). It is simplified as it only has a single 45° plate. I could afford only one camera anyway, so there was no need to do the other side, I use other books to support the book I scan from underneath...
Construction of the plate
Construction of the plate
My first book scanner Construct.jpg (41.23 KiB) Viewed 5202 times
I bought a simple camera from Samsung (ES17) for 47 Euros. It would deliver 12 mega pixels and was the cheapest model in the shop. As 8 mega pixel is the resolution for a DIN A4 page at 300 ppi, I though to go higher. I added a tripod for 12 Euros and a glas plate for about 5 Euros, and a black cardboard (2 Euros) to have a dark survace. The cardboard will also fix the book better to the surface...
Scanner from aside
Scanner from aside
My first book scanner Side.jpg (27.79 KiB) Viewed 5202 times
Scanner from above
Scanner from above
My first book scanner View.jpg (30.88 KiB) Viewed 5202 times
For lighting I used an old ulight (300 W), and unscrewed the upper part and let it hang down...
My first book scanner Lamp.jpg
My first book scanner Lamp.jpg (43.09 KiB) Viewed 5202 times
Total cost including camera less than 70 Euros (including batteries for the camera, excluding the parts I had already...)

The main problems I face with this construction, is reflection on the glass, (solved by attaching some black cardboard to the camera) and I get between 2 and 4 percent bad focused or shaky pictures, which I simply photograph again. I guess the lighting has to be improved for solving that...

The camera has to be adjusted carefully with the aid of an air lever and all is good for scantailor. I still need to test unpaper and compare, it seems there isn't much experience with unpaper in this forum...

Any comments are welcome...

Stefan
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Simple new scanner

Post by daniel_reetz »

Stefan, I LOVE your halogen light hack! As well as all the documentation you produced. I am certain this (like many other great descriptions here) will help other people scan books.

When you were scanning, did you find that books would slide down the 45 degree half-platen? Or did they stay where they should be?
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

it seems there isn't much experience with unpaper in this forum...
As far as I know, you're right. If you spent some time with Unpaper, many people would be interested to hear what you have to say.
TJ-Shredder

Post by TJ-Shredder »

daniel_reetz wrote:When you were scanning, did you find that books would slide down the 45 degree half-platen? Or did they stay where they should be?
I supported them simply with a rest of the same (thick) plank I made the stand, and/or with another book. Look at the second photo, its quite obvious. This is pretty flexible, as I can control the degree the other side will stay at. I can have it bigger than 90° or move it just up a bit. No Problem so far... But I probably will give that plank an angle to support it a bit better...

Bookscanning is fun...

Stefan