Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

will1384's Book Scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.
univurshul

Re: will1384's Book Scanner

Post by univurshul » 11 Aug 2010, 21:34

will1384 wrote:I just got started, have not even scanned one book yet, but I did have a fun time with Macports
when trying to get ScanTailor up and running
Uh, yeah...Scan Tailor is running near-flawless on the Macs. Super awesome results, and check your DPIs, read the Scan Tailor forum, it'll save you a ton of processing time. + there's a .dmg for the page-warp version of Scan Tailor as well.

Scanner looks awesome.

Double check your camera's settings in the main menus, they might have a grid overlay like A590s. I use the grids to minimize keystone when I calibrate the scanner to a book; you can simply eye it. You can also get an inclinometer app for your smartphone and check the glass angle and match the camera LCD's broad edge to that angle--it helps.

will1384

Post by will1384 » 11 Aug 2010, 23:39

univurshul wrote:
will1384 wrote:I just got started, have not even scanned one book yet, but I did have a fun time with Macports
when trying to get ScanTailor up and running
Uh, yeah...Scan Tailor is running near-flawless on the Macs. Super awesome results, and check your DPIs, read the Scan Tailor forum, it'll save you a ton of processing time. + there's a .dmg for the page-warp version of Scan Tailor as well.

Scanner looks awesome.

Double check your camera's settings in the main menus, they might have a grid overlay like A590s. I use the grids to minimize keystone when I calibrate the scanner to a book; you can simply eye it. You can also get an inclinometer app for your smartphone and check the glass angle and match the camera LCD's broad edge to that angle--it helps.
I tried using Scan Tailor, and well, I just did not like it, I ended up using Windows software
under a Virtual Machine, JPEGCrops and a Batch file, and maybe IrfanView if I need to batch
convert or batch correct colors, seams a lot faster than Scan Tailor, later on I will retry Scan
Tailor to see if I was just using it wrong.

I did not know about the "page-warp version of Scan Tailor" the only thing I knew about was a
standalone Java program "dewarp1.0" over here

http://diybookscanner.org/forum/viewtop ... &start=170

OK I just searched and found this "ScanTailor-dewarpTest.dmg" I am guessing that's what you
were talking about ?

http://diybookscanner.org/forum/viewtop ... 2&start=10

Also I found found a CHDK menu option for a grid, but its ether not working or it needs a
file, I will look into that tonight.

Thanks

univurshul

Post by univurshul » 12 Aug 2010, 03:59

will1384 wrote: I tried using Scan Tailor, and well, I just did not like it, I ended up using Windows software
under a Virtual Machine, JPEGCrops and a Batch file, and maybe IrfanView if I need to batch
convert or batch correct colors, seams a lot faster than Scan Tailor, later on I will retry Scan
I'm completely on the other side of this coin: I haven't found 3 applications for Mac OSX that can do what Scan Tailor does in 1 app. I'm telling you, from one DIY Mac user to another: when you start scanning 1,000 page books, processing, and prepping images for PDF construction, OCR...you're gonna be sitting in front of 1 application. If I were to place money on it, I would say that 1 application is Scan Tailor.

And I suppose it depends on how many books and what you scan, and of course, the quality. I've tried nearly every flagship image editing app + plug-ins and they simply pale in comparison. If you run on the OSX platform exclusively, you may find yourself on the same road as myself. But hey, if you find something better, please share!

univurshul

Post by univurshul » 12 Aug 2010, 04:06

You might also consider Benjamin's complete linux workflow for post-processing: http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... ?f=3&t=302

I haven't had time to enter into this software environment, as I'm more of a hardware-focused developer. Maybe this is why I don't take for granted n9yty's build of a Scan Tailor install package without xcode, macports, etc. :o

will1384

Post by will1384 » 12 Aug 2010, 06:35

univurshul wrote:
will1384 wrote: I tried using Scan Tailor, and well, I just did not like it, I ended up using Windows software
I'm completely on the other side of this coin: I haven't found 3 applications for Mac OSX that can do what Scan Tailor does in 1 app. I'm telling you, from one DIY Mac user to another: when you start scanning 1,000 page books, processing, and prepping images for PDF construction, OCR...you're gonna be sitting in front of 1 application. If I were to place money on it, I would say that 1 application is Scan Tailor.

And I suppose it depends on how many books and what you scan, and of course, the quality. I've tried nearly every flagship image editing app + plug-ins and they simply pale in comparison. If you run on the OSX platform exclusively, you may find yourself on the same road as myself. But hey, if you find something better, please share!

It seams like Scan Tailor is over complicated, with JPEGCrops and the batch file under Windows, it
takes maybe 10 clicks and running the batch file, and you are done, but yea that's no de-warping,
no OCR, no PDF, its just plain images, but they are cropped, renamed, rotated, and two directories
merged into one, that's not to bad for 10 clicks and running a batch file

In Scan Tailor I would like to crop just like JPEGCrops, crop the first image, then hit apply to all, and be
done with cropping, do that for each directory, a right and left directory, then rotate, de-warp, and
de-scew, just like JPEGCrops, by the user adjusting the first image, then hit apply to all, and be done
with it, then when you are all done, Scan Tailor should merge the two directories and batch rename
for you, but Scan Tailor seams to be made for flat bed scanners not book scanners using two cameras
so I dont think any of that will be added :(

Tim

Post by Tim » 12 Aug 2010, 08:20

will1384 wrote:Also I found found a CHDK menu option for a grid, but its ether not working or it needs a
file, I will look into that tonight.
Try the one from the Canon menus if your camera has a grid there.

Also, there is a Linux tool for batch cropping, it may be linked in that thread that univershul linked to. If not I'll try to find it. I'm sure it could be made to run on a Mac.

n9yty

Post by n9yty » 12 Aug 2010, 10:36

will1384 wrote:It seams like Scan Tailor is over complicated, with JPEGCrops and the batch file under Windows, it
takes maybe 10 clicks and running the batch file, and you are done, but yea that's no de-warping,
no OCR, no PDF, its just plain images, but they are cropped, renamed, rotated, and two directories
merged into one, that's not to bad for 10 clicks and running a batch file
Of course, I am biased. Clearly it is evident that I am in love with Scan Tailor or I would not have invested the time to develop an automated build system for Mac OS X to make the packages to distribute. :)

I have a flimsy cardboard-box base with a cheap lexan/shelf-bracket/gorilla-glue platen, with undoubtedly vastly insufficient illumination. Still, having said all that, running the first book I scanned through Scan Tailor gave me output that is eminently usable. It is more than just the cropping/etc, the deskewing, content selection, ability to do the cutouts for defects, picture selection, mixed mode so that what needs to be BW is and what needs to be color/grayscale is, and so forth give me some truly impressive output with, quite frankly, pathetic input. The source images would be unusable if only cropped and assembled as-is.

But, that is the wonder of this project, any component (hardware or software) is free to be re-engineered for every user, so if you find a workflow that works better for you than ScanTailor, then I'm sure you will use it. And, in the spirit of this forum, please share the specific details in case others find it more useful for them as well.

will1384

Post by will1384 » 12 Aug 2010, 12:33

n9yty wrote: But, that is the wonder of this project, any component (hardware or software) is free to be re-engineered for every user, so if you find a workflow that works better for you than ScanTailor, then I'm sure you will use it. And, in the spirit of this forum, please share the specific details in case others find it more useful for them as well.
Well right now here is my "work-flow"

(1) I scan the book, my book scanner gets about 14 pages per minute.
(2) I start my Virtual Machine, to run Windows, takes about 30 seconds.
(3) I copy the images from each SDHC card to their own directory,
to the root of my C: drive in Windows like:

C:\Book\Left
C:\Book\Right

and inside of "C:\Book" I have MAKEBOOK.BAT

(4) I use JPEGCrops to crop each directory, working with one directory at a time, I open all the images
from the directory I am working on, and then adjust the first image, then select "Edit" and " Synchronize Crops"
then click on "Crop all Images", takes about 50 seconds per 100 images

HINT: JPEGCrops has advanced options, the "Destination Folder = Source Folder" helps a lot.

(5) I Use MAKEBOOK.BAT for rename, merge and rotate, takes about 1 minute 30 seconds per 100 images.

And you are done, as long as your OK with images only and no other corrections

(6) I use IrfanView, and click on "File" and select "Batch Conversion/Rename" and under "Batch Conversion settings"
I click "Advanced Options" and then "Change Color Depth" set to "2 Colors" for stuff like "Manga" and "Plain Text"
or just "Convert to grayscale" for books with drawings / diagrams that use fine lines, lastly I always select
"Auto Adjust Colors" no matter whether I have chosen "2 Colors" or "Convert to grayscale" as it helps brighten
the image

-- I only use step 6 to make the pages "look" more clean and white, but it may make a few images look bad
so use with care

Hint: with IrfanView and black & white pages with thick black lines and / or text only, use "2 Colors"
and with black & white pages containing images with thin faint lines and diagrams use "Convert to grayscale"
-- if you use "2 Colors" on thin faint lines and diagrams some of the images and lines will disappear

BTW Here is a list of software installed under Windows:

(1) ImageMagick
(2) IrfanView
(3) JPEGCrops

and you can find MAKEBOOK.BAT in this post over here
http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... w&start=10
Last edited by will1384 on 12 Aug 2010, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

univurshul

Post by univurshul » 12 Aug 2010, 14:03

Tim wrote: Also, there is a Linux tool for batch cropping, it may be linked in that thread that univershul linked to. If not I'll try to find it. I'm sure it could be made to run on a Mac.
Speaking of: I have this idea about using a batch-crop utility app PRE-Scan Tailor to prep images that have known issues with page splitting in Scan Tailor. The idea is to batch-trim stubborn images to the point that Scan Tailor splits the pages with higher accuracy. (the contrary to avoid using another utility app was selecting a 'dual page split' option, then deleting the blank...I'm trying this method to see if it's feasible, and I think that's what Tulon would suggest when I run into splitting errors on single-pane glass when Scan Tailor reads the reflection as part of the page).

n9yty, if your listening, what would it take to get this linux crop utility app in a .dmg installer for the OSX crowd?

I'll move this post to Software, as we've totally started 'software-speak' on a hardware build post. :)

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 15 Aug 2010, 17:26

I wanted to get the images out of the camera without dealing with the battery door, batteries falling out, and
without moving the camera, so I cut a slot into the battery door so I could get to the SDHC card
THIS IS SO COOL!

Tell us more: How well does it work? Do you push in on the card and then it pops out? I think this would be a totally awesome solution!