Simple "looking" one camera book scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

will1384

Simple "looking" one camera book scanner

Post by will1384 »

I was looking on eBay, and found a book scanning service using a very simple book scanner, I did not just want to rip
off there images so I made a drawing/animation of the scanner

It uses a thick piece of glass to flatten out the book, and there are only two camera adjustments, side to side and zoom, that would
simplify things, plus the glass is laid flat, so that would help with glare / reflections, plus it uses only one camera, and takes
an image of both pages, that would be better for Scan Tailor, I also noticed that they have a channel cut out under the book for
the spine

If you want to see the scanner search eBay for "Creekside Digital" or "creeksidedigital"

I may make one just like it as a portable / backup unit

I have seen similar books scanners like this before, but I guess its simplicity
caught my eye LOL
univurshul

Re: Simple "looking" one camera book scanner

Post by univurshul »

I like this idea. However, there are issues with this approach from a DIY standpoint.

(None of those keywords worked on eBay. You can simply post a link, that would help me see the device without drawing conclusions.)

One problem is even lighting, and although it's not impossible with standard digital cameras, what this service likely employs is the use of IR scanners, such as an i2sCopiBook that scans without an embedded light source from overhead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNlp_tN1 ... re=related (or maybe the book is lit from the side at 45 degrees)

The other issue is book damage--Although I think most books can handle heavy glass just fine, so it's not really that--but it does affect proper alignment via leveling to maintain it's trajectory toward the camera: You need to build an oscillating balancing cradle or something of that kind. --Unless of course you go air platen, which is lighter and dewarping technology is fast approaching.

A third issue is camera vibration/stability. Not to burst a bubble, but this slows down productivity if the camera needs to completely stop to minimize any & all movement before shooting the page. My guess is the commercial device has a slow, automated mechanism. Very stable, not lightweight or portable by any stretch. So, if I was going to build an overhead system, just buy a super sweet camera that can shoot both pages simultaneously. You won't even need to have the camera move if it can shoot from a stationary mount.

What is cool about this: if possible with good image results, hopefully you can really crank it up and process books with a single camera, put it on a track w/motor, timed camera, firing, booyah!
will1384

Post by will1384 »

univurshul wrote:I like this idea. However, there are issues with this approach from a DIY standpoint.

(None of those keywords worked on eBay. You can simply post a link, that would help me see the device without drawing conclusions.)

LOL sorry, here you go

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0680596899

and

http://myworld.ebay.com/creeksidedigital/
univurshul wrote:One problem is even lighting, and although it's not impossible with standard digital cameras, what this service
likely employs is the use of IR scanners, such as an i2sCopiBook that scans without an embedded light source from
overhead:
Yep its that scanner, but IR is black and white and they seam to be taking color images, on the product web page
it seams to say
Operates without additional light (ambient light)
- preserves ancient works because of the absence of ultraviolet and infrared,
- operator comfort while digitizing.
http://www.i2s-bookscanner.com/produits ... V_1003_GEN
univurshul wrote:You need to build an oscillating balancing cradle or something of that kind.
yea they do seam to have an balancing cradle
univurshul wrote:A third issue is camera vibration/stability. Not to burst a bubble, but this slows down productivity if the camera needs to completely stop to minimize any & all movement before shooting the page. My guess is the commercial device has a slow, automated mechanism. Very stable, not lightweight or portable by any stretch. So, if I was going to build an overhead system, just buy a super sweet camera that can shoot both pages simultaneously. You won't even need to have the camera move if it can shoot from a stationary mount.
I was only thinking about moving the camera side to side to adjust for the books placement on the cradle, once that's adjusted
you would leave it that way threw the entire scan of that book
will1384

Post by will1384 »

I made up a second animated image showing the book scanning

BTW I am using Microsoft Paint and animated GIF software

I have a little trouble with perspective when I draw, so I guess this counts towards practice, I need to get back to my
drawing LOL

I still want to make one like this, but yea I know a home made one will need lights, and some way of leveling
thick books when they are on the cradle, but I think its workable
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

will1384 wrote: If you want to see the scanner search eBay for "Creekside Digital" or "creeksidedigital"
Their president is a member of our forum, see here:
http://diybookscanner.org/forum/viewtop ... =190#p4734

I can't remember for sure, but I thought one of our early members built a copy of that design. It had no side-to-side movement, it was just a piece of glass pressing pages flat with a camera overhead... would love to hear how that would work for DIYers.
dingodog
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by dingodog »

how much costs this bookscanner?

I've been unable to find prices on site

I would love to have...
Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Misty »

The i2S book scanners usually don't have public list prices. You'll need to contact a dealer in your market for a price - which gives you an indication of the kind of price range you're looking at for one of these.
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

Hmm. I do wonder about how it scans without lighting the page. It means there's not a real camera in that housing? I must have miss-read the junket about the i2S using IR within ambient light.
Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Misty »

It may depend on the model, but the Copibook scanners I've seen demoed at conventions use an integrated camera. They're not using off-the-shelf cameras like we do, or like Atiz does; it's integrated into that overhead device looking down on the books.
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

In some of the models, it appears that they're just using ambient. Would be interesting to see a review from the guy I linked above, he said he just took a big shipment of such scanners.