Hybrid book ripper using v-shaped holder and flatbed scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

eriel_ramos

Hybrid book ripper using v-shaped holder and flatbed scanner

Post by eriel_ramos »

Well, my first post, so, glad to be here.

The concept for the 2-camera book scanner is really powerful, and is definitely the way to go.

However, as an interim step, I'm looking at the feasibility of using an inverted v-shaped glass/acrylic holder over a flatbed scanner.

Some of the issues I see are:
  • * distortion
    * light leakage
    * focus from top to bottom of the sides
I'm just about ready to give up, but I want to get the opinion of people with much more experience that I have on the matter.

TIA.
riel
you1

Re: Hybrid book ripper using v-shaped holder and flatbed scanner

Post by you1 »

Hi eriel,

Glad to have you aboard.

I believe Kirti suggested something similar: http://www.tekstadventure.nl/branko;
and there is the "sister" project http://bkrpr.org/doku.php

Discussed in this thread: http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... 1&start=30

-Edvin
Kirtai
E-book readers owned: PRS-505
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by Kirtai »

Yes, you might be able to adapt the design I found at http://www.tekstadventure.nl/branko/inv ... canner.svg.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

If you mean putting a v-shaped platen point-up, over a flatbed scanner, it will not work. The reason for this is that the scanner can only focus about 1mm above its glass surface. If you had a scanner for each side, it might work, but you'd have to figure out a way to get the two scanners close enough to scan the gutters of the book.
you1

Post by you1 »

you'd have to figure out a way to get the two scanners close enough to scan the gutters of the book
Now that you mention it, a friend of mine used to work in a support department, supporting scanners. According to him, the element that scans the pages, is very small - thus, if one can get their hands on old scanner, they might be able to take it apart and join them.
This is certainly a discovery effort.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I have several scanners in various stages of disassembly, I can send you some pictures. You'll see that it's a pretty tough problem, even with so called "CIS" image scanners, to get closer than an inch on a side. If you look inside a flatbed scanner from the top, you'll see that almost invariably one side is supported by a steel rod, and the other by a plastic flat surface. The rod side is the motor-driven side and the plastic side just rides as a linear bearing. That side is the problem side. You'd need to invent a new bearing and probably saw off the left side of the optical assembly.

When I get a chance to post some pictures this will be much more clear.
eriel_ramos

Post by eriel_ramos »

Folks, thanks a million for your input.

I particularly like the concept of the inverse planetary scanner: with one camera and a simple cubical construction, it looks about my speed in the handyman category for a starter :-)

Any other suggestions will be gratefully considered!