Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

tsttm's build

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.
tsttm

tsttm's build

Post by tsttm » 30 Jul 2009, 09:52

hey guys,

i just wanted to thank everyone for their help, i never could have completed my build without it. Thanks to Daniel for creating the original instructables to get this rolling, had i not come across it by accident...i would not have been inspired to creating one.

I basically went with the original design with the addition of drawer slides. I chose to go with a halogen work light, simply because it was cheaper than buying the bulbs alone & made thing simpler for me as it slides on & off the main column easily. Plus, it can double duty if i need it for something other than scanning. I also found a couple lcd screens for pretty cheap...although i'm debating if i really need them. Having said that, i can definitely find double duty use for them as well when i'm not scanning.

I went with arms not fixed to the base. It seemed like less work after finding a lamp arm..plus i was doubting my ability to fix the cameras perfectly. Although i'm wondering if down the road i may need to got with a different option as i am running into problems with drifting of the arms, plus i only have mobility in 2 planes...but i'm not sure that's too big of a deal as my cams seem pretty flat to the page as is..& i'm hoping post processing can correct an rotational problems.

As for the platen connection to the main column, i decided to go with a tongue hinge & vertical drawer slide. However, I initially thought that I would be able to raise the platen at the hinge AND raise it vertically, but that is not the case. Perhaps this is possible with the hingellelogram design. The main problem with the hinge/drawer slide option is when the platen's flat on a book & you raise the platen, as you're bending the hinge, the drawer slide drops to its lowest vertical position. My solution was to fix a snowboard binding buckle to the drawer slide. It has a ratchet & quick release lever, so as I raise the platen vertically, the ratchet fixes the vertical height & only the hinge action is at play. It works quite well in fact, & i can manually ratchet higher or release lower as i please with one hand. The best part is as the book forces the platen to move vertically, the ratchet will click on its own...so i don't even have to manually ratchet it higher. With it holding the vertical position, i don't even need any vertical movement between scans, the bending of the hinge gives me enough clearance to turn the page.

Anyway, i know that's not an issue with those of you going with a vertically raising platen (which seems like the direction people are going). Perhaps its not an issue with the hingellelogram design either..& perhaps just a flaw with my design. However, it kind of adds a coolness factor...kinda like how someone mentioned they at times enjoy simply pressing the shutter button for fun (which i've been doing)..i also sometimes like to raise & lower my ratchet enabled platen..just for the fun of it.

Well, thanks again to everyone for their help. If you want to merge my other thread questions into this one, that'd be fine. I'm sure i will tinker a little bit with my design further & post up any changes here.

Now, to figure out how to do post processing. I hope my pc is powerful enough, as i recall the instructables mentioning some requirements such as a certain amount of ram that i don't have right now...i'll see. thanks!!

tsttm

Re: tsttm's build

Post by tsttm » 30 Jul 2009, 10:14

A few more pics.

you1

Post by you1 » 30 Jul 2009, 12:23

Great job.

If you get a chance post some pictures of the captured image;
I'm interest to see how the Halogen Lamp works out (especially since it has more wattage).

tsttm

Post by tsttm » 30 Jul 2009, 14:27

thanks!

the light is 500w. are you wondering if the brighter light might be an advantage or disadvantage?

I'm curious, because i've been thinking of putting a light paper sheet between the light & book to give it a softer, diffuse light.

i'll definitely post up some samples.

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 30 Jul 2009, 15:24

CHEERS!!
FG821K0FTNHEDW4.MEDIUM.jpg
FG821K0FTNHEDW4.MEDIUM.jpg (30.88 KiB) Viewed 17661 times
I am jealous of your dual-head setup. Looks great. And I'm curious, too, how even your pages come out.

tsttm

Post by tsttm » 30 Jul 2009, 15:34

ok, here's a rough first shots sample. I will need to figure how to calibrate my cameras so they're at a good angle & distance from the page...this was done eyeballing it. Setting i've used were just the ones suggested by daniel in the instructables. I noticed somewhere someone mentioned playing with the +/- to reduce the grey...i have not done that yet. If you see anything that may point to camera settings i should try, let me know.

thanks!

tsttm

Post by tsttm » 30 Jul 2009, 15:36

tsttm

Post by tsttm » 30 Jul 2009, 15:37

that's a little better, the first one was a little small. The book is a little old, so the pages are slightly yellowed to begin with-fyi.

you1

Post by you1 » 30 Jul 2009, 16:53

That looks pretty good. Here is my capture after normalizing the images http://diybookscanner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55.

I missed the thread regarding +/- camera setting for Grey reduction.
If anyone recalls the thread, please post the URL.

tnx

spamsickle

Post by spamsickle » 30 Jul 2009, 19:01

I don't know the URL, but if you're using some kind of automatic exposure, you'll probably want to use EV (exposure value) adjustment to compensate for the metering. I'd recommend shooting some test shots; you'll want to add at least an f-stop, and maybe as much as two.

What I would REALLY recommend, though, is to abandon all the "automatic" assistance your camera offers, and go manual. I did some tests to see what it took to get a white page without washing out the text, and settled on f4.0 at 1/125 second for the lights I'm using and their distance from the book. Since the lights are the same every time I shoot, I just set this once, and it's set forever. The same with my focus -- my setup is a bit bigger than some, so the distance from the camera to the book is 53.3 cm. I use the CHDK "override subject distance" setting so that I'm always focusing at 533 mm. Once again, it's "set it once, and it's set forever."

Now, when I'm shooting a new book, all I have to do is move the camera from side to side to center the book, adjust the zoom until the page almost fills the frame, and start shooting. Focus and exposure is always constant, and the only thing I have to adjust is framing, based on the size of the book I'm shooting. Going "manual" is really the most automatic way to shoot in this setup.