'Pyramid'-shaped scanners (Tamtus, Atiger)

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Gert

'Pyramid'-shaped scanners (Tamtus, Atiger)

Post by Gert »

Does anyhave have any experience building anything like this? I like this design much better than the 'overhead camera'-designs, mostly as this is very basic and has no moving parts.

The 'wedge' should be easy enough to make from 2 sheets of glass, but photographing the page from such a short distance seems a challange, also getting the pages evenly lit.

Tamtus: http://tamtus.co.kr/book-scanner.html

Atiger: http://www.vigorhood.com.cn/product/a40 ... er-47.html:
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: 'Pyramid'-shaped scanners (Tamtus, Atiger)

Post by daniel_reetz »

I can't find it right now, but at least one member built a wedge - also antohaSPB has an inverted design.
Moonboy242
E-book readers owned: iPad, Netbook
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by Moonboy242 »

$1300 to $1600 price tag (http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/tamtu ... k-scanner/).

I guess it's a type of flatbed scanner that uses software to account for / correct keystoning, and relies on book placement to eliminate page curving.
iPad: Over it. Android FTW.
vitorio
Number of books owned: 0

Post by vitorio »

This is really interesting. I liked the compact, self-contained-ness of the Bookliberator design, but understand better now how it could be problematic with thick books with wide spines. Do inverted models like this still have problems with wide spines? Would an inverted version of the Bookliberator design work well?

The most obvious problem I see with this is, what do you do when the book pages are smaller than the platen?
will1384

Post by will1384 »

It says something about "Double Lens System Technology", I wonder if it focuses on each page at the same time
and then brings it together onto the image sensor, may be somewhat like a stereoscopic microscope, have a look
over here http://www.funsci.com/fun3_en/uster/uster.htm
photoman290

Post by photoman290 »

cant see any great advantage myself. rather than just turning the pages you have to pick up the book every time. plus you would have to index the book every time as well. or am i missing something?
vitorio
Number of books owned: 0

Post by vitorio »

photoman290 wrote:rather than just turning the pages you have to pick up the book every time. plus you would have to index the book every time as well. or am i missing something?
With the usual scanners, you have to lift the platen (the V-shaped glass that flattens the pages), turn the page and put the platen back down again. Lifting the book, turning the page and putting it back down again seems no more or less work. I don't know what you mean by "index the book."

I don't know whether this particular scanner is good or not, I'm just wondering if this type might be less involved to build. Do the same two-camera setup, maybe focal distances mean it's a bigger pyramid than this one, etc. I suppose if you're doing all sorts of post-processing anyway, cropping the "open space" around a smaller book isn't a big deal, except that it might be different on every page as you pick up and replace the book...
photoman290

Post by photoman290 »

by index the book i mean you have to make sure it is in the same position relative to the cameras every time. if you are just turning the pages the book should stay in the same relative position. lifting the platen and turning the pages just seems more natural to me. i have copied plenty of books using a photocopier and this seems more like a better sort of photocopier. i can see how it would help as a display aid in a classroom for magazines but not for scanning a lot of pages quickly.
bnz

Post by bnz »

It kind of reminded me of a patent I came across.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2010/0067068.html

Not sure if this is it though.
ahmad

Post by ahmad »

I am planning to make one of these. Seemed like the most logical (and simple) way to make a book scanner to me...

Apologies for the rather poor drawings!

I think I'll call it '3-storey house' or something..
Attachments
snapshot2.png