Linear slides for high load

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

ibr4him

Linear slides for high load

Post by ibr4him »

Hi,

My scanner is complete but its absolutely unusable due the weight (of wood) on the platen (its large size for scanning A2). What I have used is the regular keyboard slides but I just came across this smi4motion and they seem to have great products, but I'm not sure which one is right for me.

Can someone please suggest which product do I need that will replace my regular keyboard slides and handle upto 6-7kg of weight so the platen moves effortless with a single push? Their website is: http://www.smi4motion.com/smi2/index.php

Many thanks for your help!
reggilbert
Number of books owned: 3000

Re: Linear slides for high load

Post by reggilbert »

From what I could see those seem awfully high priced, with too-small travels for even regular scanners, much less your larger one.

Your keyboard drawer slides could simply be too weak -- keyboard drawers are intended to hold up the tiny floor of the keyboard drawer and a plastic keyboard, total of a couple pounds. Have you tried the options for regular drawer slides at Lowes or Home Depot? Lowes' Web site shows drawer slides rated at 100-lb. and 150-lb. for $15-$30, a dozen options at least. And presumably those specs are for bearing horizontal weight at full extension. I'd think bearable vertical weight (at probably half extension?) would be quite a bit greater, so you might be able to get away with the cheaper offerings rated at 75-lb., 60 lb. or even 35-lb.

Please let us all know what solution you come up with.
ibr4him

Post by ibr4him »

Thanks but price is not a concern, just quality. I dont want to experiment at this stage becausr i want to start work soon.
Gerard
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Gerard »

do you have a counter weight?
sailor

Post by sailor »

These are professional guides/slides and they come in many configurations. I haven't been on this website before but was looking at Bosch-Rexroth as a possible source for my movable parts. Involved in woodworking in my job and using CNC equipment, I know about drawer slides and can also appreciate professional guides and rails. I would use drawer slides only for a proof of concept, not for a realistic functioning apparatus, I intend to scan hundreds of thousand of pages with fast and reliably.
Yes,these guides are costly and with actuators can reach 4 digit dollars fast.
Like with everything else, you get what you pay for.
ibr4him

Post by ibr4him »

sailor wrote:These are professional guides/slides and they come in many configurations. I haven't been on this website before but was looking at Bosch-Rexroth as a possible source for my movable parts. Involved in woodworking in my job and using CNC equipment, I know about drawer slides and can also appreciate professional guides and rails. I would use drawer slides only for a proof of concept, not for a realistic functioning apparatus, I intend to scan hundreds of thousand of pages with fast and reliably.
Yes,these guides are costly and with actuators can reach 4 digit dollars fast.
Like with everything else, you get what you pay for.

Great, so which one of these do you recommend for a book scanner with a cradle little larger than A2 size.
Gerard
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Gerard »

in my concern there is no special need for spacial slides, just counter weigh on the right places, maybe an other pair of slides to reduce the deformation of the platen,

i had also problems with the sliding of the platen, if they are not both parallel to an other you will get this problems, just make one of then loose and move it, the movement of the platen will automatically move it to a parallel position, then fix it to this position,

please give us some images :)
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I can't recommend a specific model but I can tell you that you can often get these kind of slides very cheaply on eBay.
jck57

Post by jck57 »

ibr4him wrote:Hi,

My scanner is complete but its absolutely unusable due the weight (of wood) on the platen (its large size for scanning A2). What I have used is the regular keyboard slides but I just came across this smi4motion and they seem to have great products, but I'm not sure which one is right for me.

Can someone please suggest which product do I need that will replace my regular keyboard slides and handle upto 6-7kg of weight so the platen moves effortless with a single push? Their website is: http://www.smi4motion.com/smi2/index.php

Many thanks for your help!
The standard scanners I've seen attach the vertical counterweight cable directly above the slides. A better way to counterweight the platen is for the vertical cable to attach directly above the center of gravity of the entire movable platen assembly. This will reduce side force on the slides.
ibr4him

Post by ibr4him »

Gerard wrote: please give us some images :)

Please suggest me the slide from smi4motion (or eBay) that would handle the load of this huge platen.

Thanks!