no questions asked

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

smitch

no questions asked

Post by smitch »

just a passing note in thank you, and in appreciation of your fine group and especially to Tulon giving us (ok me) scan tailor.

I don't use a camera rig myself, they require too much desk space, head room, and besides it would mess with the office decor.
Though did briefly considered building one, even drew up plans for a simpler/flatter one (pdf attached) but after testing a canon g11 on Manual Focus with wireless remote shutter control, I managed a min 542 and max 804 pgs/hr over several paperback novels*, with the added steps/time in post processing (as inefficient as they may have been) I dropped the build.
1cam.scan.pdf
(2.45 MiB) Downloaded 366 times
note* (can't remember the reason for the large time spread, these are the only notes I could find, and no, one arm wasn't broke)

While the camera maxed 9 pics/min or 1080 pgs/hr without the inconvenience of me manhandling a book and theoretical I could even double the frame rate by using 2 cameras in series, (assuming I could even turn the pages that fast) my current cannon 8800F flatbed manages an average (again over several paperbacks, so fumbling time, huffing and puffing page flakes of the glass etc is included) 680 pgs/hr (at 300 dpi, higher res scans are pathetically slow), and the only software needed is scan tailor and abby fine reader, I could produce a finished multi tiff faster using the flatbed. Given my limited scanning needs, no large format sheets, no delicate/fragile archives, I stuck with the flatbed.

And now with dewarping added, I no longer have to press the book as flat to avoid ocr errors, or even need to be willing to 'crack the spine'.

Knocked up a rig to generate some quick scans for testing dewarping (see pic), since the fails I came across appear to be covered in the forums, no need to repeat or post links to these large files here. Hopefully the first attachment might prove usefull to someone, or the latter will earn a smile,
dewarp.test.accesory.jpg