Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Sa30gr scanner build

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.
sa30gr

Sa30gr scanner build

Post by sa30gr » 17 Feb 2011, 07:33

Hi everybody...

The scanner is up and running for 2 months now, i am very pleased with the result quality and the speed of the scanner (or my turning pages!)
I am using it for digitizing old (since 1840) and new books.

It's all made from scrap metal and it cost about 450 euros, after spending a week building it and 1 month making tests.
Its solid and heavy, it can handle very thick books and a lot of "bad attitude" and pressure to the glass design

(see how thick this book is!!!!)

I' ve used 2 Cannon a590 8mp cameras (150 euro each from Greek supplier)
connected to 2 TFT 12V screens from car headrests (which i found through ebay in china, at 80euro both)

the usual ricoh button, which fires both cameras through SDM.
A computer 270W power unit handles the power. 3.3 V connected to the cameras, 12V output connected to the TFT screens
The right portion of the cradle is adjustable through very tight holes.
The whole cradle is sliding left and right for about 20cm

i went for minimal design for the glass, which came out rather complicated in building it, as i had to weld nuts and bolts for making a strong holding place.
Used foaming materials for doors for squeezing the glass inside the iron holding place, but the pressure of using it destroyed it quickly. So i finally used a very strong glue (not silicon) at the same time when tightening the bolts. Now its perfect and unmovable!

The front grasp is made with the same logic, iron, nuts and bolts for tightening it to the glass.

The glass with the metals is about 6 kilos, so i used a counter weight on the back side. Its like lifting a cup of coffee!

The lights are made out of 2 economy lamps (more of a spotlight pattern) (15W each, 65W equivalent)

with a hand made "hat" to get the light out of my face and even it out across the book.

The further up you put the light , the less dark and light spots on the book you have.
At 60 cm from the center of the cradle there was uneven lighting
At 80cm (where i have it now) the situation is much improved.
I would suggest 1 meter away...

I use the cameras at BW, S_fast mode, 200iso, 1/40 speed and 4.5 aperture. When SDM starts, the autostart sequence zooms in, auto focuses and locks the focus for the entire process.

I scan 1000 pages of new books in about 1 hour and
1000 pages of old books in an 1,5 hour.

Using scankromsator found to be better than scantailor in very old faded books (like the ones on the pics above), but also found much more convenient (and less time consuming) the ability to set a fix area of the contents and copy it for the pages below with one click.

The pics are taken at 8mp which gives me 180 dpi for an A4 scan.
After scankromsating it, I end up with a gray and bw tiff file which i keep both for old books.

Here are some samples of the old books.
the original picture

the gray picture after correcting illumination, contrast, gamma, background clearing, cropping and rotating (all automatic of course through saved profiles in scankromsator)

the Bw pic after converting it at 300dpi, enhancing and smoothening the letters
(actually 85kb in tiff, but had to upload it in jpg - the actual tiff file is bellow)

[attachment=2]test_old_bw_300dpi.tif[/attachment]

and a small comparison(original, gray and BW) of one problematic gray area on the same page (the signature below the text)

and finally here is a test of a new book
Original pic
[attachment=1]test_new.JPG[/attachment]

Final tif
[attachment=0]test_new.tif[/attachment]

Video of the scanner working will follow!!

Thank you all for the information found in this site that helped me to build my first scanner...!!

Attachments
test_new.tif
test_new.JPG
test_old_bw_300dpi.tif
Last edited by sa30gr on 18 Feb 2011, 02:42, edited 3 times in total.

Antoha-spb
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: Sa30gr scanner build

Post by Antoha-spb » 17 Feb 2011, 10:05

Wow, that looks robust and very functional !

Some questions if you don't mind:
Q1. Is the book cradle set on the furniture rails to slide left and right ?
Q2. What kind of lighting do you use and did you have an issue with uneven light causing white or black areas after 'kromsating' the colour/grayscale pictures into B&W ?
Q3. Plexiglass is easier to handle, why did you go for the pure glass? (platen)

BR,
A.

sa30gr

Post by sa30gr » 18 Feb 2011, 02:04

Antoha-spb wrote:Wow, that looks robust and very functional !

Some questions if you don't mind:
Q1. Is the book cradle set on the furniture rails to slide left and right ?
Q2. What kind of lighting do you use and did you have an issue with uneven light causing white or black areas after 'kromsating' the colour/grayscale pictures into B&W ?
Q3. Plexiglass is easier to handle, why did you go for the pure glass? (platen)

BR,
A.

Hi !

q1 : as you can see from here Image

there is an outer frame that holds the inner frame of the cradle. the rails are on the sides, not on the "table" . The whole scanner can be moved to sit on a table without needing any mods. right now i have it on top of the central A/C unit in my office...

Q2. I see you've had a problem with the lighting too!
i have added the lighting to the above description!

Q3. Yes plexiglass is much easier to handle and you can make holes in it !!!! the glass design is very solid but very difficult to make. I just had two broken windows from my home renovation that i just used... didn't know that it would be that difficult. Of course, after discovering this amazing glue that can glue anything to anything, my troubles were over- but the welding and the design of the platen was already made and just enhanced it with the glue..
I don't know how much pressure a plexiglass design can take. I am used to apply a good amount of pressure to the platen to straighten the book pages. But my advice for an easier construction is "stay away from the glass"!

Thanks!

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 18 Feb 2011, 12:10

sa30gr, this is phenomenal work! Thank you for posting so many pictures of your build, and samples of the scanner output (and it's always interesting to see what applications like ScanKromsator are capable of).

This is one of the very few designs on the forum that is welded together. Just goes to show what is possible when using steel instead of wood!

I am really loving your free-floating platen. Maybe my next scanner will be made of metal, because I'd really like a copy of that platen.

Drake Ravensmith
E-book readers owned: Kindle 3
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Drake Ravensmith » 22 Feb 2011, 08:45

Hi, I like your build! I wish I had the skills to come up with something original as that. I'm trying desperatly to adjust the standard scanner to meet my needs/available parts. In that respect, I have a couple questions.

How is your Ricoh swith connected to your cameras? Is it a soldered solution or did you find some cables that work?

Also, I like your monitors. A friend recommended them to me since they're inexpensive but I passed because they seemed a bit small for the job and the ones I saw on ebay didn't have a power cord. They were designed to be attached to the dash and powered off the car battery. Did yours come with adapters or did you have to find some? If you had to find some, what should I be looking for if I want to go the same route? I would imagine they're 12v but beyond that I don't know what to look for. More importantly, do you have any trouble viewing the output?

Any help would be appreciated. I had to push the start of my build back to April yesterday so I guess I have plenty of time to decide on final designs but I have the patience of a toddler so...

sa30gr

Post by sa30gr » 23 Feb 2011, 07:10

Drake Ravensmith wrote:Hi, I like your build! I wish I had the skills to come up with something original as that. I'm trying desperatly to adjust the standard scanner to meet my needs/available parts. In that respect, I have a couple questions.

How is your Ricoh swith connected to your cameras? Is it a soldered solution or did you find some cables that work?
YES it is soldered. Dont look for exotic adaptors, you dont need any. red-black (and ground) soldered together, one pair of the button connected to the 2 pairs of the cameras.. If you dont have soldering skills just cut the wires biggger, tie them well together and use the heat shrinking tube... But its better to use a soldering iron.
here you see the extension that i made from the button. The "Y" connection is fearther down the wire, but couldnt get a pic...
usb.JPG
usb.JPG (42.21 KiB) Viewed 10196 times
Drake Ravensmith wrote: Also, I like your monitors. A friend recommended them to me since they're inexpensive but I passed because they seemed a bit small for the job and the ones I saw on ebay didn't have a power cord. They were designed to be attached to the dash and powered off the car battery. Did yours come with adapters or did you have to find some? If you had to find some, what should I be looking for if I want to go the same route? I would imagine they're 12v but beyond that I don't know what to look for. More importantly, do you have any trouble viewing the output?
the ones i have are 7'' monitors, and they came with simple wires that you cut and solder to the 12V output. again, if there is an adapter, you just cut it off...
these are the ones i bought
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123
the output is acceptable. it cuts off a little bit (2-3 mm) from the edges. The main purpose of these screens is to see if the book is correctly slitted as you turn the pages and you dont lose any of the edges. you can not check any details as the output of the cameras is low res.
tft1.JPG
tft1.JPG (48.04 KiB) Viewed 10196 times
tft2.JPG
tft2.JPG (57.67 KiB) Viewed 10196 times
the best of luck with your project.!

Drake Ravensmith
E-book readers owned: Kindle 3
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Drake Ravensmith » 23 Feb 2011, 10:02

I can solder two wires together but if it comes to that then it's less expensive to use a momentary switch and a usb hub. Also, I just couldn't bring myself to slaughter the ricoh when it cost that much. There was a suggestion on this site that the ricoh would work with a usb splitter cable and a gender/mini adapter but if anybody has tried it they haven't posted it. I'd rather not waste the money but I may just test it and solder the hub both just so I have options. I'm silly like that.

I'm confused about the monitors. I was under the impression that while the 'live' image was fuzzy, it was still useful for manually focusing the camera. Either way, doesn't it show the snapped photo with enough clarity to ensure that you have proper focus at the start and that the focus doesn't slip as you move along?

sa30gr

Post by sa30gr » 24 Feb 2011, 03:03

Yes the image is fuzzy for the live preview and is better (not a lot) for the still image. if the out of focus is extremely obvious , you can see it on the screen.
But you can not see the focus if it is "a little off". I have used a 19'' tft monitor, but, even though is bigger, the "slight off" focus is difficult to see.
I rely upon the initial focus of the camera, and after 20.000 pages scanned, i didnt have any problem. The main concern is to have the book open in written pages (not blank) when you turn on the cameras..
So dont spent much money on the monitors, unless your camera produces hi res output.

also , if the button is only going to be used for this machine, dont have any trouble cutting it off. If not, and you want to use it elsewhere, you need to ask someone that has already done this....

cheers!

sa30gr

Post by sa30gr » 16 Jan 2013, 08:37

Giving for free the above scanner skeleton...

The above scanner has a very robust construction and a glass design that is very minimal.

Due to a new aluminum build, i used the cameras and electric components for the new scanner.

The above skeleton with the light swich and light sockets (without the counter weights from my "gym") is given for free to anyone that can use it.

The problem is that i live in Greece and the scanner is very heavy, 30 to 40 kilos and very large to sent it. I didnt even ask for postage and package..

If someone has a way to take it, please contact me at dpapagiannidis@gmail.com

or it will end up in recycle... :(

also i see the "AGORA" forum is locked...

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 16 Jan 2013, 23:26

Agora should be open to you. I get almost no requests from Greece; please don't discard your scanner! I'm sure we can find someone nearby who wants it.

Are there any hackerspaces in Greece?