jck57's Automatic Scanner Build

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

snaguy
E-book readers owned: iPad
Number of books owned: 0

Re: jck57's Automatic Scanner Build

Post by snaguy »

This is probably the best I have seen.

http://www.roboticbookscan.com/index/products/video

This would be a bit more difficult to replicate.

http://youtu.be/Kp3LhkT1jZY

Air blowing at the side will help reduce double pages. Most production laser printing machines do this in the paper trays and use feeder rollers. Offset machines use air blowing the sides and a vacuum tube with several spouts to pick up the page then twist to push the paper forward. Sorry it is hard to explain well in a short sentence.

I could not find an picture on google so I did a quick one in mspaint.
Paper feeding.jpg
Paper feeding.jpg (29.91 KiB) Viewed 9999 times
These methods work well with cut sheets but cant be used well with bound books.
dtic

Post by dtic »

jck57: I've not had any problems caused by the length of the arm/finger. Exact movements are more important for side finger(s). The page grabbing finger in my arduino setup works well as long as it hits somewhere in the middle of the book, so it moving a little now and then doesn't matter much. I've only had problems with too many pages being grabbed and with the tape losing stickiness of course. (To use tape reliably some mechanism for feeding fresh tape strips to the finger head automatically would be needed. But I doubt that would work well. Tape is only good for prototyping.) But long fingers are likely less durable and makes the build bigger and slower so I'm eager to see design that improve on that front.

I've attached the arduino sketch.

Are the two small page holders in the second video Snaguy posted ( A Kirtas APT 1200; http://youtu.be/Kp3LhkT1jZY ) close to what you had in mind for a platenless scanner jck57? I like that scanner.

Some thoughts:
- to prevent extra pages from lifting two problems need to be solved: the vacuum finger must not lift more than one page and the tendency of adjacent pages to "follow after" the one page being lifted anyway (not caused by the suction per se) must be blocked. That second problem is caused by the binding of the book. Flexing the book before scanning will likely decrease but not solve the problem. The Kirta machine doesn't have any mechanism that blocks the second problem from what I can see.
- for the fingers to move in/out up/down the machine needs not just small, cheap servos but also solenoids. So one task is finding a good source of inexpensive solenoids (preferably some international webstore similar to dealextreme.com ) that work well with arduino.
- if a platen is replaced by fingers moving in and pressing page top/bottom margin then the finger positioning presents a new challenge. Too far out and the page won't be pressed down. Too far in and they will cover text that was to be scanned. In the Kirtas video they scan a hard cover book. It looks like the margin fingers are secured to a part that is clamped to the hard cover edges. I guess they calibrate the fingers position manually for each scan based on the distance between the hard cover edges and the page edges. But what about paperback books then? A platen avoids those problems.
Attachments
dtic_100604.zip
contains dtic_100604.pde = arduino code
(2.28 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
jck57

Post by jck57 »

dtic wrote:jck57: I've not had any problems caused by the length of the arm/finger. Exact movements are more important for side finger(s). The page grabbing finger in my arduino setup works well as long as it hits somewhere in the middle of the book, so it moving a little now and then doesn't matter much. I've only had problems with too many pages being grabbed and with the tape losing stickiness of course. (To use tape reliably some mechanism for feeding fresh tape strips to the finger head automatically would be needed. But I doubt that would work well. Tape is only good for prototyping.) But long fingers are likely less durable and makes the build bigger and slower so I'm eager to see design that improve on that front.

I've attached the arduino sketch.
Thanks. I saw you are using a serial hookup. What is the reason?
Are the two small page holders in the second video Snaguy posted ( A Kirtas APT 1200; http://youtu.be/Kp3LhkT1jZY ) close to what you had in mind for a platenless scanner jck57? I like that scanner.
Something like the Kirtas, yes. My latest idea is for two V-type tabs that hinge down at the top and bottom of the crease. This should be sufficient to hold the pages flat for scanning.
Some thoughts:
- to prevent extra pages from lifting two problems need to be solved: the vacuum finger must not lift more than one page and the tendency of adjacent pages to "follow after" the one page being lifted anyway (not caused by the suction per se) must be blocked. That second problem is caused by the binding of the book. Flexing the book before scanning will likely decrease but not solve the problem. The Kirta machine doesn't have any mechanism that blocks the second problem from what I can see.
Although it is hard to see, the Kirtas does have a little flipper that hinges up and hangs in the path of the flipping page. Thin and springy, It contacts the page at the back right corner area as the page is moving from right to left. The Treventus scanner has something like it: a rod with plastic (rubber?) tip that extends in from the right side and contacts the page as it lifts. If I return to working on the pneumatic scanner I may try something similar.

- for the fingers to move in/out up/down the machine needs not just small, cheap servos but also solenoids.
We'll see if it works, but my plan is for the reciprocal movement of the turner to be accomplished with a servo and connecting rod acting on a drawer slide. My present idea for the lifting finger is a servo arm with spring loaded elbow. I'll have to post a drawing or a protype pic.
So one task is finding a good source of inexpensive solenoids (preferably some international webstore similar to dealextreme.com ) that work well with arduino.
- if a platen is replaced by fingers moving in and pressing page top/bottom margin then the finger positioning presents a new challenge. Too far out and the page won't be pressed down. Too far in and they will cover text that was to be scanned. In the Kirtas video they scan a hard cover book. It looks like the margin fingers are secured to a part that is clamped to the hard cover edges. I guess they calibrate the fingers position manually for each scan based on the distance between the hard cover edges and the page edges. But what about paperback books then? A platen avoids those problems.
My plan is for the hold down fingers on one side of the book to be adjustable for different book page heights. Yes, the covers need to be clamped to the cradle so the book stays positioned. Hopefully, a clamping method safe for paperbacks can be found.

Thanks for the comments
dtic

Post by dtic »

jck57 wrote: I saw you are using a serial hookup. What is the reason?
Do you refer to the lines "Serial.begin(19200); Serial.println("Ready");" in the code? They're actually just part of sample code I reused, maybe redundant. I've powered arduino (and the small servos) via USB from a netbook. Works well for small servos. For a stepper motor more power is needed.
Although it is hard to see, the Kirtas does have a little flipper that hinges up and hangs in the path of the flipping page. Thin and springy, It contacts the page at the back right corner area as the page is moving from right to left.
Ok, now you've gotten me to rewatch http://youtu.be/Kp3LhkT1jZY 6 times. :) But I still don't see it. Did you mean some other Kirta model? Or is it the component to the bottom right, which I thought only clamped the book in place.

. . . my plan is for the reciprocal movement of the turner to be accomplished with a servo and connecting rod acting on a drawer slide. My present idea for the lifting finger is a servo arm with spring loaded elbow. I'll have to post a drawing or a protype pic.
I'll stay tuned. These commercial automatic page turners popping up here and there means that the time has come also for a DIY version that works reliably. If not now then soon. So keep it up!
jck57

Post by jck57 »

Although it is hard to see, the Kirtas does have a little flipper that hinges up and hangs in the path of the flipping page. Thin and springy, It contacts the page at the back right corner area as the page is moving from right to left.
Ok, now you've gotten me to rewatch http://youtu.be/Kp3LhkT1jZY 6 times. :) But I still don't see it. Did you mean some other Kirta model? Or is it the component to the bottom right, which I thought only clamped the book in place.
Sorry. I should have included the correct link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FprljCBJEEQ
pfarber

Post by pfarber »

I would consider using rubber wheels/rollers on the very edge of the page. I work on printers all day and you would be amazed at what a rubber roller and the proper amount of spring pressure will accomplish.

As the platten lifts step the rollers 'into' the pages so they are pulled away from the rising page. Have a wedge shaped guide that allows the rollers to 'walk in' about a quarter to half inch. As the platten lowers, the wedge will push the rollers back off the page.. or you can roll them off by reversing direction.

I'm not sure you have have full vacuum all the time or vary it but it may also be a timing issue with vacuum. I had a job where I printed envelopes on a high speed press and you have to time the vacuum to get paper to do your bidding. Maybe a two stage 'step up' of vacuum.. start at max (two open suction ports) then shut one to reduce the pull of the platten.

The second and somewhat more complex idea is to 'seperate' the platten about 1- 2 inches apart horizontally. The vacuum would only have enough pull for one page and the other 'followers' are kept flat by the platten. Then raise up.
jck57

Post by jck57 »

pfarber wrote:I would consider using rubber wheels/rollers on the very edge of the page. I work on printers all day and you would be amazed at what a rubber roller and the proper amount of spring pressure will accomplish.

As the platten lifts step the rollers 'into' the pages so they are pulled away from the rising page. Have a wedge shaped guide that allows the rollers to 'walk in' about a quarter to half inch. As the platten lowers, the wedge will push the rollers back off the page.. or you can roll them off by reversing direction.

I'm not sure you have have full vacuum all the time or vary it but it may also be a timing issue with vacuum. I had a job where I printed envelopes on a high speed press and you have to time the vacuum to get paper to do your bidding. Maybe a two stage 'step up' of vacuum.. start at max (two open suction ports) then shut one to reduce the pull of the platten.

The second and somewhat more complex idea is to 'seperate' the platten about 1- 2 inches apart horizontally. The vacuum would only have enough pull for one page and the other 'followers' are kept flat by the platten. Then raise up.
I assume your ideas apply to the pneumatic scanner. I'm presently working on a servo actuated design. What changed my direction was the fact that vacuum and compressed air jets were not dependable enough in picking a single book page at a time. Your idea doubtless has merit but the question becomes: if extra mechanisms are required to pick a single sheet, why not abandon air jets and vacuum altogether and use similar mechanical means to continue with the relatively simple process of turning that picked sheet over.
Supergumboots
Number of books owned: 100

Post by Supergumboots »

Wow, spectacular. Nice work! I begin my build this summer but will be researching over the next two months. Keep it up!
Happy Scanning,
Dave