Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Where to buy parts?

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.
dpc
Number of books owned: 0

Where to buy parts?

Post by dpc » 07 Apr 2011, 18:21

I wanted to start a thread for folks to list their favorite online websites to order parts for building scanners.

While most of the parts you'll need for a simple scanner can be found at your local big box hardware store, more advanced designs that begin to automate the scanning process may need things like gears, bearings, solenoids, motors, controllers, etc. that may be more difficult to acquire locally.

I'll start with:

McMaster-Carr - great online catalog of over 480,000 items. they have a lot of stuff, but seem a bit pricey.

Grainger - similar to MMC. power transmission, motors, pneumatics, raw materials, etc. they have some local stores.

Got a favorite site for ordering parts online? Got a recommendation for places to avoid? Post it here!

dbb

Re: Where to buy parts?

Post by dbb » 08 Apr 2011, 08:25

I personally like eBay and Amazon. Grainger and McMaster are great resources to find out if something is produced or available, but if you search hard enough you can usually find it somewhere else for less.

hg1027

Post by hg1027 » 14 Apr 2011, 07:51

www.ledsupply.com had reasonable prices, good customer support before I ordered, and shipped me a potentiometer no charge when I had trouble with the one bought locally. My portable, packable, shippable build would not have worked out if I had to use full size light fixtures.

rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob » 14 Apr 2011, 09:26

smallparts.com is sometimes worth a look, but for the most part I get my fasteners from McMaster Carr and my metals from Speedy Metals or Online Metals.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.