Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Gluing the glass platen

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.
Drake Ravensmith
E-book readers owned: Kindle 3
Number of books owned: 0

Gluing the glass platen

Post by Drake Ravensmith » 18 Apr 2011, 17:56

So, I have no experience gluing glass to wood. I've been trying to visualize how the glass would be glued to a new standard platen design and I'm just not getting anything. So I asked. I was told I could use Gorilla Glue by just about everyone but I've been getting conflicting opinions from store employees, friends, and family about how it should be done. Now I'm asking here. What's the best way?

Ryan_phx
E-book readers owned: Nook, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Gluing the glass platen

Post by Ryan_phx » 18 Apr 2011, 20:31

I'd say not to glue it at all. I used double-sided carpet tape to hold my glass to the platen, and it holds very well. There's no mess, and if you ever had to replace the glass, it would be a lot easier to remove the tape than it would be to remove glue. Just my $.02.

spamsickle

Post by spamsickle » 18 Apr 2011, 22:02

I've used silicone sealant to bond wood to acrylic on a couple of my platens, and have been pleased with the results. I can't promise it would work as well on glass, but I'd be willing to try it. The double-sided tape also sounds promising, depending on what kind of glue it employs.

I've recently removed the wood from one platen to re-use it on another, and an x-acto knife did a fine job of separating them. The silicone rubs off the acrylic cleanly too, so both the wood and the acrylic can be re-used. I don't think Gorilla Glue would be a good choice if you thought there might be a chance that you'd want to disassemble the pieces one day. I doubt that you could get the pieces apart without breaking the glass. That may not be an issue for you -- I think the Gorilla Glue would give you a solid bond, though it might be a little ugly.

steve1066d
E-book readers owned: PRS-505
Number of books owned: 1250

Post by steve1066d » 22 Apr 2011, 14:06

I've used 2 part epoxy, and I haven't had any issue. The glue is the only thing holding everything together and I was worried initially that it wouldn't be strong enough, but it is working fine. It seems very stable even if I'm a bit rough with it. I used the standard setting epoxy.
Steve Devore
BookScanWizard, a flexible book post-processor.

dansheffler

Post by dansheffler » 17 May 2011, 14:35

I used gorilla glue on my first platan between the glass and the wood. It worked adequately for about 3 months, but then one day all four edges just popped off. It came off clean, didn't leave any on the glass and the residue on the wood was easily sanded away. Now I'm trying epoxy between glass and metal and I am not completely pleased with it since I have had problems with one of the edges.

stevede
E-book readers owned: IBM x-41 tablet
Number of books owned: 200

Post by stevede » 23 May 2011, 09:47

Gluing glass or plastic to a rigid frame in the face of mechanical stress is a challenge. Over the long term, most glues will become brittle; they will fracture and fail unless there is a shock absorbing interface. I have used EVA foam which is in running shoes to fill the requirement, but leather, neoprene, cardboard etc. would probably do as well. This bumper material has to be “glue-able” by the same glue that attaches to both the glass or plastic and the frame. You still may have to re-apply over the long term, perhaps every few years. I like the designs that use anchoring screws as well.

One really great trick is to use masking tape to keep edges clean. practice on a scrap, of course. You may need to wait for the glue to set just slightly before pealing off- depends on the glue.