scanning and downloading at the same time

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

Drake Ravensmith
E-book readers owned: Kindle 3
Number of books owned: 0

Re: scanning and downloading at the same time

Post by Drake Ravensmith »

I'm wondering if you're actually having the same problem Gerad was having. His cards weren't sending any pictures at all until he either took a break or finished his sessions. Basically he couldn't be taking pictures and having them stream at the same time. It sounds like you can, but your pics are on a slight delay. If so, that may be normal. It takes a few seconds for the cards to get started. After that, the pics should only be few seconds behind from where you're at. 2.1MB sounds like less than 8MPs so I'll assume files size isn't the problem. How fast are you taking pics? I don't go that fast myself and the cards are generally less than 10 seconds behind at any given time.
aeturneus

Post by aeturneus »

Drake Ravensmith wrote:I'm wondering if you're actually having the same problem Gerad was having. His cards weren't sending any pictures at all until he either took a break or finished his sessions. Basically he couldn't be taking pictures and having them stream at the same time. It sounds like you can, but your pics are on a slight delay. If so, that may be normal. It takes a few seconds for the cards to get started. After that, the pics should only be few seconds behind from where you're at. 2.1MB sounds like less than 8MPs so I'll assume files size isn't the problem. How fast are you taking pics? I don't go that fast myself and the cards are generally less than 10 seconds behind at any given time.

My cards don't transmit when I'm taking pictures, or when I'm doing anything at all on the camera (adjusting focus, entering a menu, etc.). The camera has to be completely idle for 5 seconds in my current setup before any pictures will transfer. The camera is 10MPs, but the file sizes are much smaller - presumably because of jpg compression. It doesn't matter if I take 1 picture and then wait or take 50 pictures and then wait - the delay is the same 5 seconds, and then the pictures start to stream over as long as the camera is totally idle.

Honestly, I think it's the A495 - has anyone else used an A490 or A495 with an eye-fi, or at all for that matter? I'm also struggling with disabling automatic autofocus.
cfmorrill

Post by cfmorrill »

I'm using a Mac with iPhoto. Does anyone know exactly what happens with two eye fi cards used at the same time? Do the cards send to different events or folders within an application like iPhoto?

Thanks, Charles
aeturneus

Post by aeturneus »

You program and configure each card separately in the Eye-Fi Center application, including the destination folder for photos.

The Eye-Fi Center seems to be a pretty solid little app, the word is that it is much improved over earlier versions. I was impressed by the production values.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

i have a a495 and a490 and a fuji finepix i shoud make some test

aeturneus wrote:I'm also struggling with disabling automatic autofocus.
just press shuter button to half and hold, then press the button with the flower, this function is caled auto focus lock
cfmorrill

Post by cfmorrill »

Thanks Aeturneus!
aeturneus

Post by aeturneus »

Ok, I just tried out the Eye-Fi with an SD970 IS and the images began streaming over almost immediately, while I was taking photos.

So it looks like the A495 somehow prevents the Eye-Fi from uploading images, but other (more expensive) cameras do not. Between that and the manual focus issue (I need to be able to go into manual focus through the software) it looks as though I will be buying a different type of camera for my scanners - open to suggestions!
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Might I suggest that youcontact the eye-fi developers about this? They have been responsive in the past with a friend of mine, and whatever is causing this is probably of interest to them...
aeturneus

Post by aeturneus »

daniel_reetz wrote:Might I suggest that youcontact the eye-fi developers about this? They have been responsive in the past with a friend of mine, and whatever is causing this is probably of interest to them...
I submitted a query and will let you know if I hear back.

Is anyone using A495's for book scanning now? If so, what setup?
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

aeturneus wrote:Is anyone using A495's for book scanning now? If so, what setup?
me with fat16 and chdk on it, (maybe chdk is the root of the 5 sec delay problem)

but for now i am working on a ptpcam gui http://forum.chdk-treff.de/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2207 clone for book scanning