Adventures with Microfiche

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

Hasher

Adventures with Microfiche

Post by Hasher »

Hi all

So I'm playing with Microfiche over the festive break it saves me getting fat (or fatter) on the Xmas feast ;-) Today I Mcgyvered a microfiche scanner using an old microfiche machine , cut the top off with a table saw (good fun) and made a basic camera stand above it .Between the Lens and the camera is a opaque panel that I project the image onto. From this I took some pics with a basic point and shoot camera

Below are some results . I haven't played with settings on the camera and I am still manually clicking the camera , but I run out of time to rig up rest . As you can the camera isnt directly over the screen . Besides all this is the light source is too intense in the center of the pic.... . Can anyone think of an easier way to more evenly distribute light, I am using the original globe and I am thinking of replacing it with something smaller. I tried placing some opaque paper over the light source but it seems that didn't do much . I'm also thinking that all this opaque sheet is distorting the image ever so slightly.

The original opaque screen was sun damaged and I cant get a replacement in town so I am using a piece of polycarbonate with opaque tint over the top. I could get frosted glass, but I don't like the breakage factor.

Scan Tailor is awesome but I need to better results before i can hand it over to the software.

I will persist with this method for a bit but I am thinking that this is not the best method . Been scoping out commercial machines and they seem to project the image directly onto a ccd. like this video: . Check from 13 seconds in. Just wondering what CCD specs would be needed and if a normal DSLR would work.

At the end of this , if possible, I would love to have something I could OCR for genealogy records . Of course this largely depends on the condition of the microfiche as some are fairly worn

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Adventures with Microfiche

Post by daniel_reetz »

You need to collimate the light before it hits your screen. Get a fresnel magnifier and put it between your light source and the diffusing screen, it should improve the hotspot in the middle.
Hasher

Post by Hasher »

2nd try , dirty optics on a mock up direct to 1/3inch ccd using a logitech webcam

daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

That's pretty impressive. Are you using microfiche optics to project the image on the webcam sensor?

Do you know anyone with a Micro 4/3 camera? They have a large-ish sensor that is pretty easy to get access to, and they are almost all high-resolution.
Hasher

Post by Hasher »

I started with the standard microfiche lens but it lacked aperture and focus control . Im thinking the webcam will not have enough true resolution but enough to play with for now. Will look into the four thirds thx :-) Lighting is still an issue as its so important. Looking into a more 'flat light' solution.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

hasher, I don't know where you are located, but if you have a sample piece of film or fiche I can help you develop an optical setup. It's definitely doable.