Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Wireless SD Memory card

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.
felixslink

Wireless SD Memory card

Post by felixslink » 20 Nov 2009, 15:41

Has anyone used a wireless memory card with their project? I can see this as a possible way to never have to remove the memory card, and also check on the quality of pages in realtime on a laptop. Here is the one I ran across http://www.eye.fi/products/home

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Wireless SD Memory card

Post by daniel_reetz » 21 Nov 2009, 10:19

That's a pretty interesting idea. If only the eye-fi could be made to trigger the cameras somehow...

spamsickle

Post by spamsickle » 21 Nov 2009, 12:19

I have to physically remove the cameras from the platen to download my pictures to the computer, because the access door to the memory card slot can't be opened on my camera (S5 IS) while the camera is attached by its tripod mount. At $50 for a wireless 2GB card, I'm willing to put up with that inconvenience for the time being.

Now that I look at it, it might be possible to design a mount that WOULD allow the access door slot to be opened without removing the cameras...

There are probably advantages in not opening the camera and removing the SD card frequently -- the hinges and latch on the access door and the contacts on the card might be expected to last much longer, for instance. Feel free to point out more advantages, and I may be able to justify the price at some point. For now, though, I haven't tried it, and don't plan to.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » 28 Nov 2009, 11:20

I've noticed that the Eye-fi card doesn't have a lock and will transfer at a speed of about 20 seconds per decent quality image. Usually my card reader transfers a 2.5 MB file at about 4 seconds. You have to delete the eye-fi card manually after the image is transferred. It would seem that plugging the card into a card reader will transfer faster and delete the card at the same time makes cheaper sense.

I've noticed that the eye-fi card doesn't have a lock. I've notice that I have to lock the SD card to get CHDK to work if I want CHDK to boot after the camera powers up. I hope Eye-fi makes a lock on their card in the future.
spamsickle wrote:There are probably advantages in not opening the camera and removing the SD card frequently -- the hinges and latch on the access door and the contacts on the card might be expected to last much longer, for instance.
You can leave the card inside the camera when transferring images, as you'd probably already know. Just plug the USB cord to the camera/PC and begin transfer. I bought my camera used (with a broken gear which I fashion a new one) and it didn't come with a software. I downloaded Zoombrowser EX for fee and I use it to download my images from my Canon camera to my PC. Here's where I believe I got it from http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0032648.asp