Camera Mount Proposal

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Camera Mount Proposal

Post by StevePoling »

I've been working on my book scanner at a glacial pace. I've gotten the base and vertical support and lighting complete and I'm thinking about how I'll hold the two cameras in place. Last night at supper my wife reminded me of those rods and clamps we used in chemistry class and how adjustable those things were. This inspired the following U-shaped assembly:

1) take a 2x4 that's just over 2 foot long and drill holes near each end. This will be clamped horizontally to the vertical support.

2) run two threaded rods (just over 1 foot long) through the holes and secure them with nuts and washers. These will extend over the left and right sides of the base.

3) drill through two blocks of wood/HDPE to run each block through a threaded rod. These will be secured to the rod via nuts and washers.

4) attach an angle bracket to each block to complete the camera mount.

SOME issues weigh on my mind:

a) How long should that horizontal piece be? Should it be adjustable to be wider or narrower? Use something telescoping instead?

b) Can I rotate the blocks on their threaded rods while aiming each camera and then lock them to prevent further, undesired, rotation? Should I use a thumb screw pressing against the rod or two nuts holding the block in compression?

Please advise.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Camera Mount Proposal

Post by daniel_reetz »

That's somewhat similar to the way the cameras were mounted on my first scanner. The copystand I used had some arms coming out the side, which have aluminum rods that extend forward like your threaded rod would extend forward. They normally hold some very lightweight lights, but I mounted the cameras there.

There were two issues. Unlike your idea, my setup was not very rigid. The cameras would droop a bit, causing some skew. It was possible to work around that. The other issue, again stemming from rigidity, was that the cameras would vibrate when I would set the platen down. Again, I think thick-ish threaded rod and a 2x4 should provide more than enough stability.

As for affixing the HDPE blocks, I vote compression from both sides with wingnuts. I had the problem that the set screw would cause the camera to shift when I tightened it, which was a PITA.
StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Post by StevePoling »

Vibration. Didn't think of that. Thanks. The wingnuts are a great idea.

I'm going to have to isolate the threaded rods from the platen...
Randomlaughter

Post by Randomlaughter »

A pair of rods going back might alleviate many of these problems including vibration and rotation. (Assuming rotation isn't ever required.)