Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Memory card error

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.
spamsickle

Memory card error

Post by spamsickle » 06 Jan 2010, 01:51

Man, I was just halfway through a book, and one of the cameras beeped half a dozen times when I triggered the shutter, but didn't take a picture. I figured it was just the old "one camera fired, and the other camera didn't" trick, so I triggered the shutter again. Again, one camera fired, and the other didn't. Four more times, each time with the same result. I tried turning off the camera that wasn't firing. When I turned it back on, it didn't come up with my CHDK splash screen. After fumbling around a bit more, I finally noticed that the display said "Memory card error".

Well, this seems to be the digital equivalent of accidentally opening the back of the camera, only instead of getting orange streaks on my pictures, the pictures are simply gone altogether. Fortunately, it's just pictures of a book that I can re-shoot once I replace the memory card and not photos of the mothership hovering over Machu Picchu, but it's still kind of scary.

Is there an internet petition somewhere to repeal Murphy's Law? I need to sign that thing...

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Memory card error

Post by daniel_reetz » 06 Jan 2010, 07:19

Oh noes!

I trust you've tried the obvious, which is to say cleaning the SD card contacts with a pencil eraser and then using Photorec?

spamsickle

Post by spamsickle » 06 Jan 2010, 08:55

I had not tried a pencil eraser, though I'd tried cleaning them with my finger. The eraser didn't work any better, and attempts to read the card on my computer either return "The system cannot find the drive specified" immediately or "The parameter is incorrect" after about a 20-second delay. I think it's really dead. I've run into the problem before with thumb drives, but this is the first time I've encountered it with a memory card. I just bought these cards six months ago too. Patriot advertises a "Lifetime warranty," so I've sent them an email about repairing or replacing it. We'll see how smoothly that goes...

spamsickle

Post by spamsickle » 11 Mar 2010, 19:59

I meant to post this earlier: Patriot replaced the defective card with no problems whatsoever. I sent them an email, got a return authorization number, sent them the card, got a replacement.

Antoha-spb
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by Antoha-spb » 12 Mar 2010, 06:03

Had that kind of trouble with xD card (these are used in Olympuses and Fujies). They got a limited number of RW cycles, and i just run out of these once...

anyway card write error is a resolvable thing. It's more sad to see that two-three pages of a 150-page book that is already given away are out of focus, or when a memory card is just lost somewhere... :?

StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Post by StevePoling » 15 Mar 2010, 00:48

Question guys. Has anybody used one of those wireless SD cards with a book scanning system?

I've been really annoyed to discover after I've finished a book that I've done something stupid. I can't really yank the SD card after a few pictures to make sure I've set up everything cherry. I'd like to have a wireless chip that radios the picture out to my laptop, where I can look at the image, assess quality, then tweak stuff.

Is this possible with one of those wireless SD cards?

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 15 Mar 2010, 01:06

spamsickle wrote:I meant to post this earlier: Patriot replaced the defective card with no problems whatsoever. I sent them an email, got a return authorization number, sent them the card, got a replacement.
Good to hear. I have not had such good luck with Kingston.

As to the Eye-Fi cards, my friend and co-conspirator Matti Kariluoma just bought one. I'll ask if he knows if you can use two.