Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Firmware Question

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.
StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Firmware Question

Post by StevePoling » 08 Jan 2010, 16:35

This is one of those simple things that always trips me up. When you create the SD chips containing the StereoMaker firmware mods, the last step is to set the chips to Read-Only. I suppose you insert the chips into the cameras and you see the StereoMaker logo on the display to verify that all is well.

Then what?

1) Does StereoMaker sneer at the Read-Only switch?
2) Without losing power to your camera, do you pop out the SD chips containing StereoMaker and pop in fresh chips to fill up with page images?
3) Do you pop out the SD chips, switch them to Read/Write then pop them back in?
4) Does the StereoMaker firmware change stick around after you turn off your camera?

Thanks in advance.

aku
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Firmware Question

Post by aku » 08 Jan 2010, 16:52

StevePoling wrote:This is one of those simple things that always trips me up. When you create the SD chips containing the StereoMaker firmware mods, the last step is to set the chips to Read-Only. I suppose you insert the chips into the cameras and you see the StereoMaker logo on the display to verify that all is well.

Then what?

1) Does StereoMaker sneer at the Read-Only switch?
Yes. AFAIK the read-only switch on SD cards is just a signal to software, not a hardware-interlock. Thus software can ignore it at leisure. While normal software doesn't, the CHDK, of which SDM is a derivative, does.
StevePoling wrote: 2) Without losing power to your camera, do you pop out the SD chips containing StereoMaker and pop in fresh chips to fill up with page images?
No. You keep the SD card with CHDK/SDM in your camera and shoot your images as usual, storing them on the modified card. You have sacrificed some of the room on the card for the CHDK/SDM firmware, so you will not be able to store as many images as normal.
StevePoling wrote: 3) Do you pop out the SD chips, switch them to Read/Write then pop them back in?
No. See above.
StevePoling wrote: 4) Does the StereoMaker firmware change stick around after you turn off your camera?
No. If the camera is powered on with a card not containing SDM it will behave normal. Ditto if you have the with SDM on it in the camera, but the RO-switch set to Read-Write.
StevePoling wrote: Thanks in advance.
This should be answered in the CHDK FAQ at http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ.

spamsickle

Re: Firmware Question

Post by spamsickle » 09 Jan 2010, 14:14

I think the read-only switch is just a convenient way to turn CHDK (& by extension, SDM) on and off without changing any of the files on the chip itself. If the chip is set to read only, the camera boots up CHDK. If it's not, the camera boots up normally.

As mentioned, the read-only switch doesn't interfere with the camera's ability to write to the chip when adding new pictures (or deleting old ones).