DIY mechanical shutter release

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

DIY mechanical shutter release

Post by daniel_reetz »

I just found this:

http://www.camerashed.co.uk/project5.asp

Very similar to the idea put forth by Antoha-SPB to use a bike brake lever as a cable release. I really like this mechanical approach... might give this a go.
daniel_reetz

Re: DIY mechanical shutter release

Post by daniel_reetz »

Cleaning out my RSS reader before class, I found these two bike-brake based systems... might provide some inspiration for mechanical triggering.

http://www.todayandtomorrow.net/2010/01 ... o-catcher/

http://www.creativereview.co.uk/cr-blog ... rainbowgun

gotta run!!
Afish

Post by Afish »

Using mechanical trigger will allow the USB port to be connected to the computer for downloading. Worth a try.
Afish

Post by Afish »

5 ft of bicylcle cable wire with housing can be bought for $2.59 shipped on EBAY. These can be attached to a foot pedal that tightens the cable. The foot pedal can consist of a hinged device with springs. On top of the camera should be on a hinge bar with a short dowel to depress the shutter. As you tighten the cable with the foot pedal the bar gets pulled down triggering the shutter. I think a workable design can be made based on this concept. The attachment points made to a camera clamp. I think the other parts of the bicycle brake system are too bulky and heavy for the soft touch needed to trigger the camera.
benjamin

Post by benjamin »

Afish wrote:Using mechanical trigger will allow the USB port to be connected to the computer for downloading. Worth a try.
If the USB cable is already connected, shouldn't it be possible to just write a little program to send the required voltage? Or is that not possible if the device is already "in use" by another application? I know almost nothing about USB.

Looking at Dan's links, I wonder if some inspiration could be had from handheld spray can guns, eg Krylon's "Snap & Spray." It's basically a $2.50 commercial version of that flamethrower.

Also here is a nice link on the mechanics of bike brakes, which includes links to everything you could ever want to know about bike brakes (and bikes generally- Sheldon Brown, RIP!). My concern (which I think Afish is touching on above) is that it's necessary to limit the range of motion to avoid mashing your release button into the camera innards in a frenzy of bookscanning. A stop on the cable would probably solve this (I'm thinking fishing weights, but cable clamps are probably the better choice.
http://sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html
DDavid

Post by DDavid »

I was in Auto Zone yesterday and I saw some cool looking hose
clamps with thumb screw like handles and thought to myself I
would be finding uses for those.
Today I was thinking about how to mount a manual shutter
device and realized the lens hoods I always use is by far the
sturdiest area I couls get a grip on. Thought of those clamps
again. I was already thinking about using a 3/8" dowel with a
small hole drilled thru it and a larger hole part way. I plan on
using a cable with a hard wire instead of bike cable like a hood
release from the junk yard. The wire will go threw the small
hole in the dowel and the sheath will be glued into the lager hole
that doesn't go all the way. A slot at the top keeps the wire in
the right place.
Anyway I knocked out a mock up in a very short time and it
looks like it will work good. I used elec tape on the mock up
and planned to do something neater but it makes it a nice
snug fit and I think I'll keep it.
I recommend everyone use lens hoods because they protect
the cameras from the number one cause of death to PS Canons
the dreaded "E18 error". I also recommend the lensmate brand
machined aluminum over the cheap plastic ones on ebay.
I have both and the plastic one which has seen little use
is already not wanting to latch in.
pics
pics
IMG_0027.JPG (85.67 KiB) Viewed 12238 times
IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0030.JPG (74.23 KiB) Viewed 12238 times
IMG_0033.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG (56.73 KiB) Viewed 12238 times
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG (34.45 KiB) Viewed 12238 times
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG (33.73 KiB) Viewed 12238 times
Afish

Post by Afish »

I received my two 5 ft bicycle cables with housings awhile ago. I was surprised how smooth they work. Might be smoother than regular camera shutter release cables because they were so heavily oiled. This will allow a push trigger action like regular camera shutter release cable. I needed 5 ft because I am going to build a foot pedal trigger to simultaneusly trigger both cameras.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Afish wrote:I received my two 5 ft bicycle cables with housings awhile ago. I was surprised how smooth they work. Might be smoother than regular camera shutter release cables because they were so heavily oiled. This will allow a push trigger action like regular camera shutter release cable. I needed 5 ft because I am going to build a foot pedal trigger to simultaneusly trigger both cameras.
Awesome! Please share pics of what you figure out -- there are a lot of people interested in using non-SDM trigger methods.