Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Tiny camera hidden in glasses

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Tiny camera hidden in glasses

Post by rob » 16 Jan 2010, 17:33

Here's a 1.3 megapixel camera in a pair of sunglasses. It looks a little clunky, and doesn't appear to come in nonshaded glasses, but it would be interesting to take into libraries where they don't let you photograph out-of-copyright books for fear of infringing copyright (Rare Book Room at the Library of Congress, I'm looking at YOU!)
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.

DSpider

Re: Tiny camera hidden in glasses

Post by DSpider » 17 Jan 2010, 17:47

Can you imagine not looking suspicious looking like that ? Man, those frames are HUGE.

Something like this would probably be more appropriate. Snap a pic each time you turn a page. However, it's somewhere around a grey area, closer to stealing.

Antoha-spb
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by Antoha-spb » 18 Jan 2010, 07:03

This is a topic of my permanent interest since i entered the National Library for the 1st time %))

There is a variety of pinhole cameras available, that you can easily hide and operate. But the resolution of the pictures is inferior. Planon pen-scanners are good for resolution, but they will attract attention of the lib security staff. A solution may be a good resolution (4mpix) webcams with AF. The only thing is to hide one properly. I thought about an 1l TETRAPAK juice box with a small window covered by a sticker, being removed when camera is working. But got no such webcam to try it (it implies disassembling of an expensive camera)

DISCLAIMER: this is NOT a piracy propaganda. Old out-of-copyright books and recent ones that were made on the government's (=taxpayers) expense cannot be 'pirated' by the taxpayers through copying, i guess...

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 18 Jan 2010, 09:38

This would be one of those rare moments when it would be advantageous to have a disability that required a prosthetic. You could pack a lot of camera into a prosthetic arm, for example.

Here's a page with some ideas from the KGB.

Note that they disguise a fair number of cameras as... cameras. In bags. Also, don't miss the "document camera" -- actually a film-based scanner!

I think a purse, handbag, or even a hollowed-out book might make a great document camera. An iPod or MP3 player hanging from the neck could put it in just the right place.

Here's a selection of the CIA's approach., including the attached briefcase doc scanner (I AM GOING TO BUILD ONE OF THESE OMG)
cia_briefcase.jpg
cia_briefcase.jpg (9.35 KiB) Viewed 6948 times
More ideas here.
And here.

daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz » 18 Jan 2010, 09:46

If you could conceal a camera in a loupe, you could scan it over the page of interest with your head...

daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz » 18 Jan 2010, 11:13

Or maybe a camera could be concealed in a cast or arm-brace...

spamsickle

Post by spamsickle » 18 Jan 2010, 14:55

If a pen scanner is attracting attention from security, I think you'd need a lot of finesse and misdirection to capture more than a page or two with a camera hidden in a book or a bag.

daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz » 18 Jan 2010, 15:29

Hey Rob, why is this in Software? :D

rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob » 18 Jan 2010, 15:32

That's a good question, which I will not answer. Instead, I'll move it to hardware!
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.

Antoha-spb
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by Antoha-spb » 19 Jan 2010, 09:32

Somewhere in the Internets I read about an artist who replaced his blind eye with a camera to do some 'hidden shooting of life' project. Guess that's gonna be a success as most of the people are humble, reluctant or even aggressive when being shot by unfamiliar persons for unclear reasons.
Here's a selection of the CIA's approach., including the attached briefcase doc scanner (I AM GOING TO BUILD ONE OF THESE OMG)
=== hmmm, that's something where KGB may compete too

some tech info in Russian here

C-64 "Yolka", it is brand new, just some US$200 and it's all yours ;)

Thanks for the GREAT links (gone for reading....)