Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Camera Settings

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.
StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Camera Settings

Post by StevePoling » 04 Feb 2010, 04:12

Hey guys, I'm sorry if I'm diminishing the signal-to-noise ratio, but I am certain I have not set up my cameras as well as I ought. I am no photographer unless you count point-and-shoot while trying to hold the camera still. Oh, and you're not supposed to open the camera in full daylight... wait, we're not using film...

Is there a camera-settings thread I've overlooked? I recall seeing some posts here and there, but I'd hope to see a thread just for camera setup.

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Camera Settings

Post by daniel_reetz » 04 Feb 2010, 11:17

There isn't a master general camera settings thread yet, though there's been practically endless discussion about cameras (with good reason). The problem is that everyone's setups and desired scanning outcomes are different, so the settings are necessarily different.

To get your setup going, I really think the best thing is to have one build thread so we can have a look at exactly what you've got going, hardware-wise, and then try to figure out the best camera settings from there. Over time, I'll try to generate a master thread that concatenates the best of camera info from the forum.

Additional info that will be helpful: the name of your cameras, the type of lighting you're employing, and the settings you're using now, plus some sample images showing the problem. Because shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and white balance are factors that interact with each other, there are usually a couple of combinations that can solve any given problem.