Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Fujitsu ScanSnap SV600

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.
cday
Posts: 243
Joined: 19 Mar 2013, 14:55
Number of books owned: 0
Country: UK

Re: Fujitsu ScanSnap SV600

Post by cday » 15 Nov 2013, 15:22

I must say that I think the test scans in the PDF -- whatever processing has been applied to the raw sensor output -- are very presentable: both the text and the images are high quality.
grisard wrote:There is a (positive) review of this scanner on this blog: http://www.documentsnap.com/scansnap-sv600-review. But I am not so sure whether this is an impartial opinion because the website http://www.documentsnap.com in general rather promotes Fujitsu ScanSnap scanners over any other producers (the site perhaps might be sponsored by Fujitsu).
I think the http://www.documentsnap.com website can be safely assumed to be a Fujitsu marketing site, the 'snap' in the url being a giveaway as their scanners usually have 'snap' in their names.
grisard wrote:There is also a 3 page test scan from a book on this blog (direct link to the test scan: http://cache.documentsnap.com/files/ear ... e-ages.pdf). Looking at this test scan leads me to assume that this scanner does not offer any dewarping.
This scanner does seem to have an inherent limitation compared with both flatbed scanners and typical camera-based scanners on the forum: on a flatbed scanner a book can be pressed down fairly firmly against the scanner glass to minimise warping, on camera-based scanners a sheet of glass or plexiglass is usually pressed against the open book to flatten the pages, but this scanner when used as shown with two fingers holding the pages down, lacks an effective means of flattening pages when scanning books.

But the scans obtained could be post-processed in the same way as other camera-based scans: the starting image quality is high although dewarping might be more challenging.
grisard wrote:The OCR result is questionable: word recognition seems to be o.k. but when you copy the hidden text from this pdf into Word, there is a paragraph break after each single word, i.e. each word has its own line! So from this roughly 4 pages of original text you get 21 pages in Word. :shock: I think this OCR result is completely useless.
I selected a small amount of text and pasted it into Word and there was a paragraph break at the end of each *line* in the text in the image: this for some reason seems to be common when extracting text from PDFs whichever software was used to create the file. Looking at the PDF document properties (File | Properties... ) the software used is in fact licensed from Adobe.

When copying text from PDFs there is a reasonably simple solution: the MS Word 'Find and Replace' facility can be used to replace the [usually hidden] unwanted paragraph marks with spaces, so that the text flows normally between the margins. It should be possible to record a macro and assign it to a keyboard shortcut if doing it regularly. It is, however, necessary to reinsert paragraph breaks where they are present in the original image, which could be tedious for a long document.

grisard
Posts: 6
Joined: 11 Nov 2013, 06:46
Number of books owned: 0
Country: Europe

Re: Fujitsu ScanSnap SV600

Post by grisard » 16 Nov 2013, 15:46

cday wrote:
grisard wrote:The OCR result is questionable: word recognition seems to be o.k. but when you copy the hidden text from this pdf into Word, there is a paragraph break after each single word, i.e. each word has its own line! So from this roughly 4 pages of original text you get 21 pages in Word. :shock: I think this OCR result is completely useless.


I selected a small amount of text and pasted it into Word and there was a paragraph break at the end of each *line* in the text in the image: this for some reason seems to be common when extracting text from PDFs whichever software was used to create the file.
You are right. I got a paragraph break after each single word because the pdf was opened in the pdf viewer of Firefox. I copied from there. When I open the pdf with Acrobat I get the same behaviour as you. I agree that this is what you usually get when you copy from searchable pdf.

LA2
Posts: 19
Joined: 01 Feb 2012, 16:43
Number of books owned: 1000
Country: Sweden
Location: Linköping, Sweden

Re: Fujitsu ScanSnap SV600

Post by LA2 » 19 Nov 2013, 13:08

I changed the default settings to 300 dpi, compression level 2, colour only, save as JPEG, and this is what I got,
http://runeberg.org/varaung/0001.html
Click "Next >>" to see the following pages.
Click "full resolution (JPEG)" to see the full 300 dpi image.
If you look carefully on some pages, e.g. http://runeberg.org/varaung/0015.html
you can see that the software that straightens the curved page makes the text lines towards the bottom of the page a bit wavy. I think it's hard to get perfect images, like you would get with a glass on a flatbed scanner. This is still my first attempt, and I might learn more as time goes by.

rkomar
Posts: 87
Joined: 12 May 2013, 16:36
E-book readers owned: PRS-505, PocketBook 902, PRS-T1, PocketBook 623, PocketBook 840
Number of books owned: 3000
Country: Canada

Re: Fujitsu ScanSnap SV600

Post by rkomar » 19 Nov 2013, 20:05

Thanks LA2, it's good to see how well it works. How thick is the book? Is it really curved towards the spine when open?

It's true that some pages are distorted, but it's still easily readable. So, maybe it's not good enough for archival purposes, but probably good enough for someone who wants a readable private copy, wouldn't you say?

documentsnap
Posts: 1
Joined: 01 Sep 2010, 09:50

Re: Fujitsu ScanSnap SV600

Post by documentsnap » 27 Nov 2013, 13:38

cday wrote:I must say that I think the test scans in the PDF -- whatever processing has been applied to the raw sensor output -- are very presentable: both the text and the images are high quality.
grisard wrote:There is a (positive) review of this scanner on this blog: http://www.documentsnap.com/scansnap-sv600-review. But I am not so sure whether this is an impartial opinion because the website http://www.documentsnap.com in general rather promotes Fujitsu ScanSnap scanners over any other producers (the site perhaps might be sponsored by Fujitsu).
I think the http://www.documentsnap.com website can be safely assumed to be a Fujitsu marketing site, the 'snap' in the url being a giveaway as their scanners usually have 'snap' in their names.
Hi everyone, I just came across this thread. Thanks for the link to my SV600 review. Just wanted to mention that I am in no way sponsored by Fujitsu (or anyone else for that matter). I've done reviews from many other vendors, and in fact have done a few posts about this site/forum too. It just happens that the ScanSnaps are the scanners I tend to use the most, so I post about them more than others. The "snap" in the domain was a dumb decision back in 2008 which I am now stuck with. :)

Anyways, if you have any questions about the SV600, feel free to let me know.

cday
Posts: 243
Joined: 19 Mar 2013, 14:55
Number of books owned: 0
Country: UK

Re: Fujitsu ScanSnap SV600

Post by cday » 08 Feb 2014, 18:02

Another review:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/scanners ... snap-sv600

A fairly brief review that provides a little more information and is positive.

Post Reply