The best way to shot and download pictures to computer

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

mihai2054
Number of books owned: 500

Re: The best way to shot and download pictures to computer

Post by mihai2054 »

hy all,
i'm interested to manage my both camera shoot from the computer somehow. i've tried the autohotkey script but i didn't get anywere.
anyhow both camera shoots if i run chdk and write the five line of code for runing multicam.lua. but it takes a lot of time just to shoot once. i've read other post and i saw dtic even managed to shoot automaticaly with a wireless mouse.
how did you do it?? thanks
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by duerig »

FYI, the best way to do this is now the Spreads program by jbaiter. Using spreads, everything is controlled from your computer. The cameras will capture images at the press of a button and those images will be automatically downloaded and stored in the right order. Go check out the Spreads sub-forum.

If you can, get a Raspberry Pi board to run Spreads on. That is the most painless way to get going because you just install the SpreadPi image and hook up the cameras and you are good to go. With SpreadPi, you operate Spreads via your web browser by going to the network address that the Pi lives at. You create a workflow, capture all your photos, and then download them all as one big zip file for postprocessing.
mihai2054
Number of books owned: 500

Post by mihai2054 »

i agree with you, but spreads is not supported in windows.
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by duerig »

This is why I mentioned SpreadPi. A Raspberry Pi card is very cheap and then you can control the entire process from a windows computer and download a zip at the end.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

yeah, the best way at this time is definitely a SpreadPi setup with two cameras. dive in!
dtic

Post by dtic »

mihai2054 wrote:I'm interested to manage my both camera shoot from the computer somehow. i've tried the autohotkey script but i didn't get anywere. anyhow both camera shoots if i run chdk and write the five line of code for runing multicam.lua. but it takes a lot of time just to shoot once. i've read other post and

You can control chdkptp from the command line (connect to camera, set photo mode, zoom, shoot) in windows. I will clean up some code and post a script for autohotkey for that when I have time. But it is really pretty straightforward. Read the usage.txt helpfile for chdkptp for details on the different commands. The rsint command is the fastest, it saves directly to the PC and you can start shooting the next photo while the previous is saving. It requires a camera with filewrite, see this list.
mihai2054 wrote:i saw dtic even managed to shoot automaticaly with a wireless mouse.
I posted about that here. A mouse scroll wheel can be used as a hotkey just like any keyboard button can. Here is a simple example for autohotkey.

Code: Select all

WheelDown::
Run notepad.exe
msgbox, hello world
return
Every time the mouse wheel is scrolled notepad will open and a popup window with the text "hello world" will show. Replace those two actions with whatever command you want to run. See autohotkey helppage for the run command for how to run things on the command line.
dtic

Post by dtic »

@mihai2054 and others: I made the small tool TwoCamControl , see this new thread.