Nokia PureView 41MP

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

vitorio
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Nokia PureView 41MP

Post by vitorio »

PocketLibrarian wrote:(I run Linux boxes) So I have learned about Virtualbox and created a windows OS there to upload/download files.)
(you can transfer files via local WiFi but that is time consuming)
(USB transfer speed is much quicker)
On Windows you have whatever standard software Microsoft provides. On Macs you have Nokia Photo Transfer for Mac.

On Linux, it looks like you have to use transfer tools that support "MTP," like some Android phones also use. I haven't tried this myself, but the 1020 looks supported.
It looks like you'll want to install gvfs-mtp for GUI filesystem explorer support, and gmtp or recent gphoto2 builds (after May 2014 based on this closed bug) to pull files off it.

I see handfuls of complaints that you can't put files on the 1020 using these tools, but that's probably okay, given this particular use case.

PocketLibrarian, are you able to see if you can get those softwares to work?
Indess

Post by Indess »

vitorio wrote:My Nokia Lumia 1020 arrived, and I've uploaded a single test photo I took with it.

I don't have a good home setup for one-off shots like this, so I'm not prepared to take additional ones. It wasn't on a tripod, the lighting is overhead fluorescents, I didn't do a custom white balance, and you can see my reflection a bit in the acrylic. I just held the camera up until the entire book fit in the frame, no digital zoom.

But, it does demonstrate the 600dpi I was able to get out of it. This is using the stock Nokia camera app, auto everything, JPEG format, not the latest version which supports RAW (DNG format, apparently ~40MB in size) uncompressed images. The visible page area is 8.5" tall (where the tape measure is) showing ~622dpi, and 6-3/8" wide showing ~600dpi.

Note that only the Nokia 808 (Symbian) and the Nokia Lumia 1020 (Windows Phone 8) have the 41MP sensor. There are other "PureView" models but they have fewer megapixels.
thumb Windows Phone_20140316_20_34_55_Pro__highres.jpg
Right click, save as: 5MP pixel-binned JPEG (1.4MB) and 38MP full-size JPEG (9.8MB)
The picture you have taken is actually a master piece taken by you. I really liked it. Can you please share some more images taken by the cam?
vitorio

Post by vitorio »

Indess wrote:Can you please share some more images taken by the cam?
Assuming I'm not responding to spam, this thread has other photos taken by the 1020: http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... 438#p18438
truf

Post by truf »

Hi guys,
I'm still just thinking about using my Lumia 1020 as a book scanner, but already has some experience in retrieving files from it via USB cable on linux machine (Kubuntu). This:
On Linux, it looks like you have to use transfer tools that support "MTP," like some Android phones also use. I haven't tried this myself, but the 1020 looks supported.
Isn't working as MS used some proprietary MTP extension (as I understand) At least didn't work year ago. Luckily I found this opensource tool: Android File Transfer for Linux. The author is making its own libMTP implementation, so GUI was not important and minimalistic from beginning but it seems that he keeps improving it. When I found this tool it didn't work with Lumia 1020 either but although only Android phones support was promised author kindly agreed to try to remotely debug my phone and after a few months he was able to add this device support to its library. So afaik it's the only one linux tool that is able to work with Lumia 1020 via MTP now. At least it works with latest WP8.1 and Lumia 1020 seems not get upgrade to Windows 10 from MS.
the.traveller
E-book readers owned: Samsung Tab S
Number of books owned: 800

Post by the.traveller »

For those who use the Nokia Pureview 1020 as camera, did you know there is a camera grip for it which has an added battery (1020 mAh) and tripod mount? See http://www.windowscentral.com/nokia-lum ... review-cam.
And here the price for it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... dition=all