Comparing Settings PowerShot A1400

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

johnelle
E-book readers owned: kindle
Number of books owned: 800

Comparing Settings PowerShot A1400

Post by johnelle »

I am starting to do my first scans on SpreadPi and I was wondering if folks are willing to share some of their set-up.

Both tests were run with folio-size books more or less centered on the carriage.

I found that the zoom setting of around 30-33 seemed to cover most of the page. I left the focus at 0. Monochrome worked for the first few scans but it would hang on the 4-5th page.

Both the color and black and white originals had a fairly strong yellow color cast--didn't see any way to correct for this during scanning.
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: Comparing Settings PowerShot A1400

Post by duerig »

There are a number of different color correction options with your camera and you can set them within Spreads by clicking on the advanced checkbox when setting up your workflow. I find that Tungsten is usually best when it is under artificial light. But it won't help if the page itself is yellowish instead of the light.

I'll look into the monochrome failure you mentioned and see if I can reproduce it. Was it the camera that crashed or Spreads?

I have found leaving focus at 0 to be risky. As long as all your pages have content in the middle, it works out ok. But I have run into troubles whenever I need to take a photo of a page where the center is blank. This usually happens at the end of a chapter.
johnelle

Post by johnelle »

It was hard to tell where the crash occurred. I was mostly using a tablet to drive and the web interface just stopped responding. I don't think I reset the cameras--I just rebooted the Pi so possibly on the Pi side but I can try to reproduce it and look around a little more before restarting (at the time I just wanted to get through the first scan session).

Curious what you mean about not leaving the focus at zero. What should it be at?
johnelle

Post by johnelle »

Ok just tried the following.

Powered up from cold start (been off 4 days)
Used the web interface with all defaults except monochrome
2 shots (4 pages) the web interface stopped responding
Tried a page refresh and it timed out
Looked at the cameras and they seemed to be in working order.
Pi didn't have the disk light blinking
Rebooted
Refreshed browser after boot -- at the capture page (i.e. not starting a new workflow)
5-6 shots and then the browser came back with the error:

Code: Select all

_libusb_device_descriptor' object has no attribute 'bLength'
Version was marked "dueirg-test5"
johnelle

Post by johnelle »

...and I just did a browser refresh and I was back shooting (i.e. non-fatal)

(sorry about the 2nd post but I just did a refresh on a whim on the error display)