Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Fixed camera BookScanner Design, Help

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.
jakegaisser

Fixed camera BookScanner Design, Help

Post by jakegaisser » 03 Mar 2010, 00:44

will these 2 fixed camera concepts provide the same results? I noticed that in picture 1 maybe it only has to go up at an angle because the books crade is not a true 90 deg, whereas in picture 2 its a true 90 deg...
Attachments
fixedcamera2.png
fixedcamera2.png (22.36 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
fixedCamera.JPG
fixedCamera.JPG (35.58 KiB) Viewed 2457 times

Afish

Re: Fixed camera BookScanner Design, Help

Post by Afish » 03 Mar 2010, 02:59

It is not that the cradle is not 90 degrees although it may not be. But it is true that camera slide is not 90 degrees to the page surface.

For some reason the Atiz design requires a vertical motion away from the page surface and a horizontal motion inward toward the center of the page width.
They accomplish this in one motion by having the camera slide at less than 90 degrees.

I think I would like adjustability inward toward the center of the page width and adjustability toward the center of the page height then use the optical zoom for the vertical motion away from the page (but this is only because I plan not to crop my pages).

jakegaisser

Post by jakegaisser » 03 Mar 2010, 14:59

I think I am going to start with a 90 deg book cradle and straight up and down posts for the camera holders, and then if the cameras angle on the books isn't right then I will just cut the uprights angle them outward and add a brace.

benjamin

Post by benjamin » 13 Mar 2010, 21:42

FWIW we're using only a single adjustable vertical plane and thus far are getting good results.