Canon A3400IS external shutter

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

jorge77
E-book readers owned: ipad
Number of books owned: 35

Canon A3400IS external shutter

Post by jorge77 »

Hi,

can someone maybe give me a a hand. Im looking to solder an external button for the shutter at the camera. I disassembled and took some pictures of the preset. it looks like a regular preset that are used in mouses. but just in case I would like a second opinion.
ground should be the triangle, so should I sold the other wire to the X or 2?

and if you are looking on some info to disassemble it goes like this.

first remove the screws from the front and back case. it is recommended to use a #000 size

Screws at the bottom

screws on one side

screws on the other side

remove the plastic at the top that contains the shutter. you need to use a small twizzer for the clips

right clip

front clip

rear clip

don't forget to mount correctly the usb cover back to the right place it has a small part that need to go in the pin

A pic of my pinky finger for measurement references.
cday
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Canon A3400IS external shutter

Post by cday »

jorge77 wrote: ground should be the triangle...
As a sometime electronic engineer, I suspect the triangle more likely indicates pin 1, unless you or anyone else knows better...

With four connections to the switch, the switch could be single pole, single pole change-over, or double pole. The most likely is probably single pole, but each switch contact may be connected to two pins, a four-pin package being used to facilitate automated assembly. If you examine the printed circuit board tracks to the extent that they are visible, if you haven't already done so, you might be able to deduce some clues.

In the absence of any better ideas, if you have a multimeter you could possibly do some tests using a voltage range to see what happens when you press the button. Or if necessary, try momentarily shorting pairs of contacts to see which combination activates the shutter, at your own hopefully only very slight risk... ;)