Minimum Camera for Book Scanning

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

MIGUELPARDO

Re: Minimum Camera for Book Scanning

Post by MIGUELPARDO »

is there anyone trying to build DIY cameras?. If you take most electronic, i am sure you could get a very good one (resollution) with no so much money and very light!!!
Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Misty »

That for some reason made me think of DIY book scanning with a homemade pinhole camera, which would be at once ridiculous and hilarious.
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
MIGUELPARDO

Post by MIGUELPARDO »

Misty wrote:That for some reason made me think of DIY book scanning with a homemade pinhole camera, which would be at once ridiculous and hilarious.

well look at that, then you will re´think what is and what is not ridiculous and hilarious.
http://en.gigazine.net/index.php?/news/ ... r_digicam/

we are dwarfs on the shoulders of giants
Bernard of Chartres
Misty

Post by Misty »

Wow, that's amazing. I want one!

When I was talking about pinhole cameras, I was referring to something like this - neat, but not exactly renowned for sharpness or practicality. I didn't mean to disparage DIY cameras in general.
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
Antoha-spb
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by Antoha-spb »

MIGUELPARDO wrote:is there anyone trying to build DIY cameras?. If you take most electronic, i am sure you could get a very good one (resollution) with no so much money and very light!!!
Do you mean a hybrid of scanner and camera lens? For what custom purposes do you need one?

It's a very tricky thing to make out of scrap with good functionality. The resolution of the flatbed scanner with all it's microsteps and sensitive array's microshifts is geared to be used with scanner's lens that capture the image line-by-line. When you replace scanner lens the custom ones e.g. to scan wide format material, the new lens must ensure enough fine linear resolution on edges (note 'custom' lens stay still - only ccd sensor moves). The CCD sensor also has it's resolution limits. And in order for the scanner to start up, it must pass the training session, done by scanning sample area before the platen. Changing the lens requires new training surface on the new platen... and so on.
TJ-Shredder

Post by TJ-Shredder »

To build a camera out of a scanner to scan books doesn't make much sense... The whole point of using cameras is the advantage in speed versus a scanner. If you have time, simply scan it, can't beat the quality...
But to build a custom camera would make sense, as for book scanning you could for example create a construction with a fixed distance and thus could have a fix focus camera for simplifying things. Shutter speed is not as much an issue as in hand held photography, you could make that longer etc...

I was calculating what specs a camera would need, and as a DIN A4 sheet at 300 dpi would be roughly amount to 8 mega pixels, I went shopping and bought the cheapest 12 mega pixel camera the shop had. It was less than 50 Euros for a Samsung ES 17 and I am very happy with it. I don't need any remote control and couldn't afford to spend more anyway...
I doubt that you could DIY a camera cheaper than that...

Stefan
Misty

Post by Misty »

For normal book scanning, the scanner CCD array camera doesn't have any real advantages. It could be very useful for specialized needs, however - for instance, scanning fragile, image-dense archival books or records which are either too fragile or too large to be usable on a flatbed scanner. With 130+mp, you would get fine-grained detail in excess of what even the high-end large-format digital backs give you (60+mp). Not all documents would need that much detail, but I can definitely imagine places where it would be appropriate and the extra scanning time would be worth it.
Cutip

Post by Cutip »

Does the A590 support "Mechanical Trigger" ??
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Well, it does in the sense that your fingers can press the button. ;) All cameras support mechanical trigger, in that sense.
Cutip

Post by Cutip »

lol, I know but you know what I mean, the USB button thing that you press (Example as if you were getting a hearing test) .... that type of mechanical trigger. I can't seem to find them for the A590.