Microfiche lens set up

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

Hasher

Microfiche lens set up

Post by Hasher »

Hi Guys ,

Making a rig for taking images off microfiche . I have removed a lens from an old microfiche machine and by shining a light thru the microfiche and lens I can see the pages.

I am wondering if i can project the image onto a the CCD/CMOS of a camera. I have a Xiaomi Action YI sports camera (GoPro Clone) from which I removed the lens. I haven't yet managed to catch an image but I am thing it has to do with distances.

Could someone tell me how to work out theory of the lens/distances and light intensity and if it is possible to project on the image on the CCD/CMOS.

Some images of what I am playing with https://photos.app.goo.gl/p8OqXKwGbCc5tcUr2

Thanks for any help !
L.Willms
E-book readers owned: Tolino Shine

Re: Microfiche lens set up

Post by L.Willms »

Interesting project.

Do you know that there are complete microfilm and microfiche scanners available on the market?

The first step of the evolution from microfilm viewer to microfilm scanner was to project the image on a white board and photograph that image.

I think that this is what the Canon Microfilm Scanner 800 does.

So, methinks that the lens which you have is supposed to project and enlarge the image from the microfilm to a screen suitable for human consumption, and that it would not be suited to project it onto the small chip of a camera, at least not with some additional optic.
Hasher

Post by Hasher »

I actually have a commercial microfiche scanner but where is the fun in that ;) Another user on this forum used a microscope camera and I will try one tomorrow. Will post result!
L.Willms
E-book readers owned: Tolino Shine

Post by L.Willms »

Hasher wrote: 09 Nov 2017, 06:48 I actually have a commercial microfiche scanner
which one? I had the chance to use two different ones, on one of then the library had removed the USB-Jacks ... the other one had a Windows software which crashed very often.
Hasher wrote: 09 Nov 2017, 06:48 Another user on this forum used a microscope camera and I will try one tomorrow. Will post result!
Yeah, that makes more sense than a regular camera.