One or two cameras in the scanner...

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

Matteus
E-book readers owned: Kobo Aura 6", Cybook Odyssey HD.
Number of books owned: 1100

One or two cameras in the scanner...

Post by Matteus »

I thought that CHDK would be a fairly easy thing but it has started to affect that it may not be that! Not at all for me when I do not really know English ... But I wonder if I can use a single Ixus 160 with CHDK and Pi 2/3 of a computer and a leg pedal? I am very fond of thinking about that which one would be easier to make two camera scanner or one camera scanner?

Sorry for any mistakes, the computer translation makes them ...

Thanking you for your advice: Matthew
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: One or two cameras in the scanner...

Post by duerig »

If you have just one camera, things become much easier. You may not need the Raspberry Pi at all, for example. If you already have an IXUS 160 camera, I can give you some advice about how to best use it. If you don't have an IXUS 160 camera, you might want to look for a camera with built-in remote control if you have a hard time with CHDK.

What is your setup? What is the exact problem you were having with CHDK? What is your native language?

-Jonathon Duerig
Matteus

Post by Matteus »

duerig wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 11:46 If you have just one camera, things become much easier. You may not need the Raspberry Pi at all, for example. If you already have an IXUS 160 camera, I can give you some advice about how to best use it. If you don't have an IXUS 160 camera, you might want to look for a camera with built-in remote control if you have a hard time with CHDK.

What is your setup? What is the exact problem you were having with CHDK? What is your native language?

-Jonathon Duerig
I have purchased from amazon two Canon Ixus 160 camera, it will probably be next week for me. I still do not have Rasberry Pi. I have read CHDK's installation and from the rest and it seems not very easy! I am a very bad technical matters.

I'm wondering what kind of scanner trying to build, fairly easy it would be like Evan's Book Scanner or Gandalf's one camera / mobile scanner. I would be interested in two cameras and a Rasberry Pi book scanner, but let's now see what's going to be done.

My language is Finnish and unfortunately I do not speak English .. :-(
It's not easy to communicate with Google translator, it translates often a nasty language ...

Matteus
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by duerig »

CHDK can be complicated to install in the general case because there are so many different cameras and firmware versions it supports. However, things are somewhat easier for ELPH 160 cameras in particular (which is why I recommend them). Take a look at the Pi Scan documentation here:

https://github.com/Tenrec-Builders/pi-scan

Note that there is both an English and Spanish version of the instructions. So if Google Translate gets confused by one, the other might still give you the information you need.

You will need to:

(1) Download the image for ELPH 160 cameras
(2) Unzip the image
(3) Write the image to an SD card using the appropriate software
(4) Eject the SD card safely
(5) Lock the SD card by flipping the physical tab on the side of the card
(6) Put the SD card in the camera
(7) Verify that the camera has booted into CHDK by looking for a brief CHDK splash screen when you turn it on.

Once you have CHDK installed properly on both cameras, you will want to use either Pi Scan (with a Raspberry Pi) or TwoCamControl (on Windows) to control them. Ask here in the forum if and when you run into trouble.

Also, SD cards are cheap and light enough that if you can't image them yourself, I could probably send you some pre-imaged cards for a small fee and shipping wouldn't cost very much.

-Jonathon Duerig
BillGill
E-book readers owned: Calibre, FBReader
Number of books owned: 7000

Post by BillGill »

2 cameras can take 2 pictures at the same time.
2 cameras work best with Pi-Scan.
Pi-Scan is not difficult, if you can read the instructions.
1 camera takes 1 picture at a time.
1 camera can take a picture by pushing the shutter button.
1 camera requires more time to scan a book.
1 camera can take a picture of 2 pages at a time.
A 2 page scan requires extra processing in the computer.
A 2 page scan can be processed with Scan Tailor.

I have built a new scanner that is simple.
It uses one camera.
It is not computer controlled.
I can't post pictures.
My pictures all wind up being bad files on DIY Book Scanner.
I don't know why.
They work on Facebook.

I hope this helps.

Bill
Matteus

Post by Matteus »

duerig wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 10:20 CHDK can be complicated to install in the general case because there are so many different cameras and firmware versions it supports. However, things are somewhat easier for ELPH 160 cameras in particular (which is why I recommend them). Take a look at the Pi Scan documentation here:

https://github.com/Tenrec-Builders/pi-scan

Note that there is both an English and Spanish version of the instructions. So if Google Translate gets confused by one, the other might still give you the information you need.

You will need to:

(1) Download the image for ELPH 160 cameras
(2) Unzip the image
(3) Write the image to an SD card using the appropriate software
(4) Eject the SD card safely
(5) Lock the SD card by flipping the physical tab on the side of the card
(6) Put the SD card in the camera
(7) Verify that the camera has booted into CHDK by looking for a brief CHDK splash screen when you turn it on.

Once you have CHDK installed properly on both cameras, you will want to use either Pi Scan (with a Raspberry Pi) or TwoCamControl (on Windows) to control them. Ask here in the forum if and when you run into trouble.

Also, SD cards are cheap and light enough that if you can't image them yourself, I could probably send you some pre-imaged cards for a small fee and shipping wouldn't cost very much.

-Jonathon Duerig
The installation of the CHDK camera seemed quite difficult ... I would be grateful if you could help me out there. Then when did you get so please send me PM how to act on the matter.

Can I use Raspberry PI 4? It is probably available.

Matteus