Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

StereoData Maker

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.
jmricker

StereoData Maker

Post by jmricker » 30 Mar 2010, 16:25

One thing I don't understand about the instructable is, what exactly is the purpose of StereoData Maker? For some reason I imagined that each camera was taking a picture of both pages at the same time and SDM was sort of piecing both together but it looks to me like the cameras in the instructable are taking a picture of only one page each.

Sorry to be so dense :)

Joel

spamsickle

Re: StereoData Maker

Post by spamsickle » 30 Mar 2010, 16:57

Each camera is taking a picture of one page. StereoData Maker is an easy way to fire both cameras at the same time, which is important when taking actual stereo pictures of a moving subject, but not so critical in our application.

CHDK (and I assume SDM) also help in other areas, though. I'm using the ability to control the camera from the memory card to set the focus and the exposure, as well as keep the display from timing out and going into "hibernation" mode when I leave it unattended for more than a couple of minutes. When hibernation happens, on my camera, the manual focus reverts to auto focus, which means "out of focus" on pages with only a little text that isn't in the center of the image.