Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Canon a480 works with USB remote

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Canon a480 works with USB remote

Post by daniel_reetz » 17 Jun 2010, 10:46

I've been wondering about the importance of manual focus, which is not available on the a480.

Is that true AFTER SDM orCHDK is installed?

n9yty

Post by n9yty » 06 Aug 2010, 20:08

I just did some quick test pics with a pair of A480's (in a very shoddy test setup), and had a few blurry pages because the focus wasn't quite on. I wonder about this via CHDK, but I haven't tested it yet. http://www.britishideas.com/2010/06/09/ ... anon-a480/

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 06 Aug 2010, 21:58

well done! looks like manual focus is working! thank you.

will1384

Post by will1384 » 07 Aug 2010, 03:44

n9yty wrote:I just did some quick test pics with a pair of A480's (in a very shoddy test setup), and had a few blurry pages because the focus wasn't quite on. I wonder about this via CHDK, but I haven't tested it yet. http://www.britishideas.com/2010/06/09/ ... anon-a480/

I am using two A480's and auto focus works fine, but I have a lot of light, the cameras are
just about dead center on ether side of my platen, and I have just about eliminated the glare
problem.

Flat black spray paint, and electrical tape, will fix a lot of the glare / reflections,
then just add light, as much as you can "with in reason" :lol: and the camera
should auto focus perfectly, the clamp lamps / gooseneck lamps will help also
deal with glare / reflections.

Tim

Post by Tim » 07 Aug 2010, 08:53

I checked the manual and the A480 does have auto focus lock, which is pretty handy for our purposes. It also seems to have a real aperture, but I can't confirm that, it's not on the list in the other post. It's not listed on the gphoto remote compatibility list, and as it was released just at the time Canon phased out the remote support in the Powershot line, there's a tiny chance it will work with Gphoto. Tiny because the A480 was designed as a compact, affordable camera, so that may have been one of the axed features. But it does have one of the cheaper and easier to hack power supply plugs. At 10 MP it's a pretty good option.

Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Misty » 09 Aug 2010, 09:24

As I mentioned in the minimum camera for scanning thread, the A480 does support PictBridge. That's meant to be for direct-from-camera printing, but gphoto2 says it can support cameras that use that. Not sure how limited that will be, but it's probably better than nothing - worth a little experimentation at least.
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.