Needs source for Alltel Y-splitter

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

PocketLibrarian

Needs source for Alltel Y-splitter

Post by PocketLibrarian »

Hi Everyone!
Just putting my 'standard scanner' together today and can't seem to find a source for the Alltel y-splitter.
I've gone to the Yahoo groups and the links there lead to a dead-end in Amazon.com and searching their data didn't find it either.

I thought that the great 'Oracle' ,aka Google search engine, would find it but I am not having any joy there either.

Please help me complete this so I can put my library (1500+ books) in my pocket! :-D
TIA
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Needs source for Alltel Y-splitter

Post by daniel_reetz »

I really thought I had a no-solder solution for the trigger, but if the Alltel cable is unavailable, well, that's hardly a solution.

Are you at all willing to try splicing two cables to make a new one? If so, I will make a video showing you what to do. Even after buying a second USB cable, a cheapy soldering iron, and a bit of solder, it will be cheaper than the splitter solution.

If you are not comfortable with that, I've looked on eBay, Google, and elsewhere. Have you tried asking if someone has an extra in the StereoDataMaker Yahoo Group?

I used to sell triggers, but I am done doing that. I really don't enjoy it and I'm about to pack up my workshop.

You might also be able to get away with some kludge of cables and gender changers. I'm thinking a cable like this:
extension.JPG
extension.JPG (4.29 KiB) Viewed 9038 times
And a gender changer on the end like this:
usbgender.JPG
usbgender.JPG (11.38 KiB) Viewed 9038 times
and then two ordinary A to Mini-B cables.
USBaminib.JPG
USBaminib.JPG (5.91 KiB) Viewed 9038 times
PocketLibrarian

Post by PocketLibrarian »

Thanks for your quick reply and three options, no less! :-D

I will probably kludge together some gender benders etc and if that doesn't work I will splice something together.
I would appreciate seeing your video on splicing technique.

How's the move coming along?

I am looking at ANOTHER move myself and the books are the most energy (mine and fossil fuel) consuming.
I've already whittled my collection down to under 2,000 books but once digitized I will probably keep only a hundred or so and donate the rest.
Appreciatively,
PocketLibrarian
mellow-yellow
Number of books owned: 1

Post by mellow-yellow »

It turns out that Daniel was hoping the Motorola Y splitter would work with the CA-1 without splicing and soldering (he wrote as much in an earlier post, sorry I don't have it available) instead of the Alltel device (mentioned above), but in fact, later posts suggest that *only* the Alltel device works though is now discontinued. So, if you decide to use the CA-1 and Motorola Y as currently suggested in the New "Standard Scanner", you really need to read: http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... 4183#p3894. Also, just for clarification, the Excel document mentions part #RR-2MBEXT-24GL5 for the Extension Cable via the provided link.