Do cameras with manual mode minimize/eliminate need for remote software?

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

JeffB
E-book readers owned: Adobe Acrobat, Calibre, Kindle for Windows, perhaps others. Not sure.
Number of books owned: 200

Re: Do cameras with manual mode minimize/eliminate need for remote software?

Post by JeffB »

Thanks. That looks like a nice set up you have there.

It looks like a marked improvement over my efforts using a regular scanner. Having the ability to lay the book down flat & have the other side hang over the edge would save wear on the book & minimize or eliminate the shadow in the gutter.

I am curious, though. It looks to me like the lights are facing each other rather than pointing up a little bit at the page. Is that to cut down on the glare/reflection off of the platen?
BillGill
E-book readers owned: Calibre, FBReader
Number of books owned: 7000

Post by BillGill »

Yes, I found that I needed a very low angle of incidence for the lights to keep reflections down. So I have 2 bright lights facing one another to get enough light on the page without reflections. It is possible that it might work better with a slight slant on the lights, but they couldn't be tilted very much. I got to that point and decided it was good enough. I am getting good scans with it the way it is.

Bill
L.Willms
E-book readers owned: Tolino Shine

Post by L.Willms »

JeffB wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 17:44 If you had two cameras & stored the photos on an SD card or whatever, is there software available for a PC that would still interleave them together after you transfer them to the computer?
I use the freecommander, the split window (dual panel) alternative to the Windows Explorer, one of the successors of the revolutionary Norton Commander.

Freecommander has a renaming feature for the files, and one option is numbering with an arbitrary start value and arbitrary value to add at every step. Set the step to 2 for both odd and even pages, chose the appropriate number of digits; set the start value to 1 for the odd pages, and and to 2 for the even ones. Then you can merge the two sets. Done!

No special software needed.
JeffB
E-book readers owned: Adobe Acrobat, Calibre, Kindle for Windows, perhaps others. Not sure.

Post by JeffB »

BillGill wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 09:56 Yes, I found that I needed a very low angle of incidence for the lights to keep reflections down. So I have 2 bright lights facing one another to get enough light on the page without reflections. It is possible that it might work better with a slight slant on the lights, but they couldn't be tilted very much. I got to that point and decided it was good enough. I am getting good scans with it the way it is.

Bill
Does the black paint on the inside keep reflections down as well? Black seems to be the consensus on here from what I've seen, but it also seems to me that I read on here somewhere that someone painted his white to brighten it up some.

I also wonder whether the lights might ever be an issue with flare for the camera. I know I've seen higher end lenses with rubber extensions to stop light coming in from the sides and the possibility of resulting flare, ghost images or whatever. I suppose that depends upon the angle such light is coming in & the specifics of the lenses, though.
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

L.Willms wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 02:59
JeffB wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 17:44 If you had two cameras & stored the photos on an SD card or whatever, is there software available for a PC that would still interleave them together after you transfer them to the computer?
I use the freecommander, the split window (dual panel) alternative to the Windows Explorer, one of the successors of the revolutionary Norton Commander.

Freecommander has a renaming feature for the files, and one option is numbering with an arbitrary start value and arbitrary value to add at every step. Set the step to 2 for both odd and even pages, chose the appropriate number of digits; set the start value to 1 for the odd pages, and and to 2 for the even ones. Then you can merge the two sets. Done!

No special software needed.
Thanks for the tip.

Do you then have a process to automatically rotate the images so they are all right side up? I had been following links from here several days or so ago & saw a video about some software that may have done the interleaving like that &/or rotated the pages and even did some cropping & perhaps some mass editing, perhaps changing white balance or whatever. It looked pretty slick, but I'm not sure if I save the link.

In any event, I will check out freecommander.com . It looks like a nice tool with a lot of features & has a version for Windows 10.

Thanks again.
BillGill
E-book readers owned: Calibre, FBReader
Number of books owned: 7000

Post by BillGill »

The OCR program I use does autorotation. That is ABBYY FineReader 14 https://www.abbyy.com/en-us/finereader/ ... gKKTfD_BwE. It does a lot of other things that I don't use. I just load the images, run the OCR, and save them to my wordprocessor format. Check the website to see what all it can do.

I don't know if there is any other software that does autorotation.

Bill
L.Willms
E-book readers owned: Tolino Shine

Post by L.Willms »

JeffB wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 14:54
Do you then have a process to automatically rotate the images so they are all right side up?
I think that Scan Tailor does that.

Nevertheless I use the image viewer PMView for this task. It is not free but with built in threading i.e. multitasking and 64-bit application, it can be very fast. I use PMview for two decades, first on OS/2. There is also an article on PMview in the en.Wikipedia.org The latest version is v3.81 of July 10, 2018.

The free Irfanview can also rotate images.