Pi-Scan 1.5 with A2500 Cameras

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

rcull
Number of books owned: 0

Pi-Scan 1.5 with A2500 Cameras

Post by rcull »

I have a Raspberry 2 with a Raspberry 7" touchscreen. It looks like it is working as it should.
I have a couple of used A2500 cameras. I have flashed a couple of 35G cards with pi-scan-camera-a2500-4317.img.

I have a couple of A2200 cameras with chdk on them. It is easy to see that chdk is operating on the A2200 cameras, but how can I tell if it is working on the A2500s?

The problem I am trying to get past is, I start up the Raspberry, the screen goes through start up. I click on "Begin Scanning" and it finds the storage device, I click "next", and this time, I get "Found, Gphoto cameras......" YAHOO!:) (first time its done that).
It is telling me to set zoom, etc., but the cameras don't seem to function at this point. There is a green light on each of them and the lens is retracted.
If I turn the cameras on before plugging them in (I could set zoom at that point), then plug them in, the lens retracts and closes.

Where should I look to solve my problem?

Thanks
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: Pi-Scan 1.5 with A2500 Cameras

Post by duerig »

It looks like you are not actually running CHDK on the cameras. The 'Found gphoto cameras' is a bad sign. It means that it thinks your cameras are higher end gphoto cameras rather than CHDK cameras.

So here is how you verify that your cameras are running CHDK. When you first turn on the camera, look at the camera screen. You should see a brief 'CHDK' splash screen. If you don't see that screen, then CHDK is not running. It could be that the SD cards are not loaded with what you think they are. Or it could be that the SD cards aren't locked. They need to be locked by flipping the physical tab on the left to the side with the padlock. That locking is essential for CHDK to start when the camera boots.

You might also want to just use the standard CHDK install instructions to install the latest version of CHDK (the full version). The image for the A2500 should still work, but I don't have an A2500 to test it on any more so it isn't updated to the latest version of CHDK.

If you still have troubles, feel free to ask more here or email me at help@tenrec.builders and I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can.

-Jonathon Duerig
rcull
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Pi-Scan 1.5 with A2500 Cameras

Post by rcull »

Thank you for the input, I now have everything working as it should, I think:)

I am wondering if it is possible to capture the scans in grayscale rather than color, if so, where?
I should probably start a new thread to ask this...

Thanks