Cameras for PVC pipe scanner (2-camera rig)

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

TS Zarathustra
E-book readers owned: Kindle 4. Kindle paperwhite 2014, Kobo Aura One
Number of books owned: 999

Re: Cameras for PVC pipe scanner (2-camera rig)

Post by TS Zarathustra »

Doranwen wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 00:11 I have one additional question regarding this area of the build: how do I select a Bluetooth remote to trigger the camera shutter on the smartphone? There are plenty of fobs out there to buy - but what I don't know is if all of them will trigger BOTH cameras simultaneously? Are there any other considerations? I definitely don't want to have to hit two separate remotes, one per camera, as that will really slow things down… I'm just looking at a page of results on Amazon with no idea what I should be going for specifically.
If you're using smartphones I recommend voice command. The OpenCamera app can be installed on both phones, use the same command. No extra hardware.
Doranwen
E-book readers owned: Onyx Boox (dead), Astak EZ Reader (dead)
Number of books owned: 2700

Post by Doranwen »

I probably will set that up. But I'm thinking I'll want to purchase a Bluetooth remote as well because if someone else wants to scan something on my scanner (it's possible my dad might) - then I don't have to have it set up for his voice as well.
cday
Number of books owned: 0

Post by cday »

Doranwen wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 14:05 I probably will set that up. But I'm thinking I'll want to purchase a Bluetooth remote as well because if someone else wants to scan something on my scanner (it's possible my dad might) - then I don't have to have it set up for his voice as well.
I would think that a pushbutton switch on the platen arm that you lower to make a scan would be the optimum option when you are making a large number of scans? Maybe a Bluetooth remote could be mounted there, or beside the lowered position of the arm? You wouldn't want to have to keep moving you hand to pick up the device.

I thought that a switch that was triggered automatically when the platen lowering arm was fully down might be optimal, but in fact the actuating height would vary as the book was scanned. Just brainstorming, not my part of the problem!
Doranwen
E-book readers owned: Onyx Boox (dead), Astak EZ Reader (dead)
Number of books owned: 2700

Post by Doranwen »

cday wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 14:51 Maybe a Bluetooth remote could be mounted there, or beside the lowered position of the arm? You wouldn't want to have to keep moving you hand to pick up the device.
Excellent idea. I don't see why the remote couldn't be attached to the scanner. Those things are pretty lightweight, right? A little electrical tape would fix it in place, then it'd be easy to just press the button with one thumb moved over from wherever one's hand is. That's the sort of thing my brother can figure out very well, so I'm not that concerned, but that's a great idea to pass on to him.