Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Enhanced camera control...

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.
jimb

Re: Enhanced camera control...

Post by jimb » 10 Aug 2009, 08:19

Finally got all the components in. Those rotary encoders will work, but need some serious debouncing. I have the basic circuit and arduino software working. Just fine tuning the USB remote software for SDM/CHDK. get_usb_power has VERY poor resolution. Trying to send six different commands to the camera is pretty unreliable unless you send fairly lengthy pulses on the usb power line. I am going to set down tonight and work some ideas to clean this up.

Pictures of the setup, schematics, and software tonight or tomorrow.

you1

Post by you1 » 10 Aug 2009, 12:42

Hi Jimb,

Very cool...

I'm not sure if you are aware that SDM 1.81 is out, and it offers serial communications via camera LED
http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/serial.htm

Thus, micro controller can verify the receipt of signal.

jimb

Post by jimb » 27 Oct 2009, 08:12

Thats cool. I actually have remote controls up and working with a MEGA. I am working both on that and display of video from both cameras through a single pci card. the PTP will be a great way to get the picture back into the computer so that processing can be done. Although life and thesis happened and I haven't worked on this in about two months it is setting next to my desk reminding me daily I need to continue work :)

I have remote controls for the camera working. Three encoders with built in pushbuttons and another pushbutton. One encoder focuses in/out the "selected" camera. Another zooms in/out the selected camera. In both cases pushing the button takes the selected cameras back to auto focus/zoom. The third know pressing the button selects both cameras and turning the knob rotates through the camera (easy to have 1,2,3 or even four cameras or more). The final pushbutton snaps the picture.

My big hangup right now is trying to do this with inexpensive readily available parts. Which in electronics means cheap Chinese knockoffs. The encoders are REALLY cheap. I have had to debounce in both hardware and software and they are still touchy. I really need to get my hands on a cheap old scope to look at the signals coming back. Or spend some money getting real encoders.

Right now someone could build this thing for about $30 and that includes a pre-programmed MEGA chip shipped from me. Three encoders $4.80. One pushbutton $2 (at RS), handful of ceramic caps $1.5. $20 for the MEGA pcb kit (then send me the MEGA for programming). And the extra $3 for some pcb work. One could spend another 20-30 dollars to program the MEGA themselves.

Using real decoders could as much as double the cost so I am reluctant on a budget machine to do that. As it is the electronics package is pushing what I thought would be reasonable on a "low cost" book scanner.

However, adding in the $6 usb hubs from Targus I found and letting it control the PTP also could be real interesting.

jimb

Post by jimb » 27 Oct 2009, 08:18

you1 wrote:Hi Jimb,

Very cool...

I'm not sure if you are aware that SDM 1.81 is out, and it offers serial communications via camera LED
http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/serial.htm

Thus, micro controller can verify the receipt of signal.
Thanks! I did know and considered it. However, that means using the Serial/USB pins on the MEGA and I had hoped to keep those for communication with a central computer in the hopes of using PTP and doing automated transfer from the camera to a computer. Also it would increase the cost some more and I am really trying to keep that down.

But, it may be the only way to reliably use these cheap encoders. If i can use it that way then the small cost of the LED will be a lot less than the increased cost of better encoders.

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 27 Oct 2009, 08:38

I'm glad to hear you're so far along. I know you're strapped for time, but you should really consider posting a short video of your device. We're not the only community who would be interested in it -- the CHDK people would be, generally, and so would the Stereo Data Maker people. Some of them are sophisticated with electronics, so you might be able to get some dev help. Personally, I don't mind dropping a few extra bucks on encoders to get one of your kits up and running. I'd love to mess around with this thing.

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 15 Aug 2010, 14:49

hey Jimb, did you ever get a chance to go further with this project?

E^3

Post by E^3 » 17 Aug 2010, 04:35

Hello,

Very interesting.

Though I am starting now with Decapod,Scantailor (Gambas) , I am a little bit challenge to do it.

Sir Jim can you post your work here, (schematic,scode ,etc)?

http://cobecoballes-embedded.blogspot.c ... e-kit.html
This is my blog and getting some tech support for an PIC16F877a that we made before
maybe I am able to port your code and chose our PICMe to do the same.

Thanks

E^3
Philippines