Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Using Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.
Pantagruel

Using Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000

Post by Pantagruel » 16 Jul 2010, 18:53

I've been enjoying this site very much since discovering it last year but haven't had time to experiment until this summer. However, I have been trying out various solutions for scanning books, artwork, and microforms for over a decade now, and am certainly enjoying the benefits of not having to reinvent the wheel.
Although there is a great deal to be said for the Canon cameras that are more or less standard with everyone here--reasonable price, hackability, good resolution, and so forth--there is one alternative worth considering for those who, like me, don't necessarily need to use OCR and are content with, in fact, prefer (for citation reasons) images of the actual pages. I have had reasonably good results with the 2 megapixel Logitech webcam (so far the best of the lot). There are, of course, problems that they pose when used for unintended purposes: the lens has a very short focal length, so that keystoning and text warping occur readily if the camera is not perfectly centered and parallel to the page frame. On the plus side, they can be had refurbished for under $50 and are easy to control from a computer. I am attaching a few pictures, one of my crude trial setup using only the overhead room light and two of pages processed through Scan Tailor.
Logitech webcam.JPG
cobbled-together rig
(57.01 KiB) Downloaded 621 times
Depending on the font and page sizes, I have had fair success running some samples through Abbyy FineReader, but for that a higher-resolution camera is certainly called for if one wants consistent results.
The first sample is from an A4-format art book.
A4.jpg
(504.56 KiB) Downloaded 620 times
The second is from a 6" x 9" text which has a fairly large font size
6x9.jpg
(489.11 KiB) Downloaded 620 times
. Though the files had to be downscaled quite a bit to get to the 512 kb limit, the loss of detail hasn't diminished the legibility of the text very drastically in these samples. The setup has the potential for working well with smaller formats, where 2 megapixels can be enough to get a sharp image of the text. The need for deskewing in the samples is evident, but the point of including them is to show what one can get with a webcam.
P1020626.JPG
Webcam display on monitor
(84.03 KiB) Downloaded 621 times
I am trying to figure out how to use a two-webcam setup. This would require, I suspect, some rewriting of the software that drives the cameras; I thought of trying out a USB switch (perhaps even a KVM switch to see if that might work), but the mechanical types are made for sharing a USB device with two different computers rather than one computer alternating between two identical USB devices. When I have experimented with unplugging one webcam and plugging the other into the same USB port, there is a delay while the software waits to reconnect. Unfortunately, the only obvious alternative here is two separate computers, which negates the cost advantage and convenience of the webcams. Has anyone else tried such a setup?

Pantagruel

Re: Using Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000

Post by Pantagruel » 16 Jul 2010, 22:42

Here is a better example, one that isn't skewed, with the original image and the Scan Tailored result.
QuickCam9000.jpg
Webcam set for 2 megapixels, 5" x 8" book
(173.81 KiB) Downloaded 615 times
ScanTversion.jpg
I'll try OCR on this later and report the results.
(170.35 KiB) Downloaded 615 times

Pantagruel

Post by Pantagruel » 16 Jul 2010, 23:55

And here is the rtf OCR'd version of the Acknowledgements page from the previous post. The image was run through ABBYY FineReader 5.0 and not edited or altered in any way.
Attachments
Acknowledgements.rtf
5" x 8" format book page image made with Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 as converted to editable text by ABBY FineReader 5.0. When the conditions are right, it can work quite well.
(2.61 KiB) Downloaded 316 times

E^3

Post by E^3 » 19 Jul 2010, 04:37

Hello Sir,

I think , there is a solution to the problem about triggering both logitech cameras in USB of a single PC.
There are a lot of open source code(free) dealing with the stereo camera and good for logitech series;
usually its being used for stereoscopic vision(hobby -robotics).

Here are some links that might interest you.
1) Two cameras will work
http://code.google.com/p/sentience/wiki ... ereoCamera

2)The source code
http://sourceforge.net/projects/rodney/

3)One of the many useful article

Hope this will give you an idea,and help you.

Thanks

E^3
Philippines

Pantagruel

Post by Pantagruel » 19 Jul 2010, 19:32

Many thanks, E^3. I'll see if I can get the QuickCam Pro 9000's to work in a similar fashion. Did the link for item 3) get lost?

I think , there is a solution to the problem about triggering both logitech cameras in USB of a single PC.
There are a lot of open source code(free) dealing with the stereo camera and good for logitech series;
usually its being used for stereoscopic vision(hobby -robotics).

Here are some links that might interest you.
1) Two cameras will work
http://code.google.com/p/sentience/wiki ... ereoCamera

2)The source code
http://sourceforge.net/projects/rodney/

3)One of the many useful article

Hope this will give you an idea,and help you.

Thanks

E^3
Philippines[/quote]

E^3

Post by E^3 » 19 Jul 2010, 21:02

Hello Sir,

Here is the link I forgot to include
3) One of the many article
http://sluggish.uni.cc/sentience/sentience.htm

Just a questions:
1) How about the lighting issue
2) How about the capturing speed will it matter for a logitech QC pro?

Thanks

E^3
Philippines

Pantagruel

Post by Pantagruel » 19 Jul 2010, 23:41

Thanks once again, E^3. The problem with the current stereo software offerings is that they don't seem to work with a webcam of very high native resolution, such as the qcpro 9000 (2 megapixels). Anything less than that might suffice for robotics, but even 1.3 megapixels is not good enough for bookscanning, and so far I haven't found anything that appears to work with the pro 9000's, though I'll keep looking.
Lighting is not a problem, though the cameras do have to be kept fairly close to the page (7 inches away from the page to fill the frame with a 6" x9" book format).
The capture speed is the same as it is for a typical consumer level point-and-shoot digital camera.

Here is the link I forgot to include
3) One of the many article
http://sluggish.uni.cc/sentience/sentience.htm

Just a questions:
1) How about the lighting issue
2) How about the capturing speed will it matter for a logitech QC pro?

Thanks

E^3
Philippines[/quote]

E^3

Post by E^3 » 20 Jul 2010, 07:11

Hi Sir,

Good Day,

That would actually happen until the OpenGL community would release their own driver for
Logitech QC pro (esp for Linux).

But I , I had browse some other QuickCam/ webcam on the net that are more higher megapixel than
2mp(snap shot) "A4tech" for example .

Anyway,Thanks too.

E^3
Philippines

Pantagruel

Post by Pantagruel » 21 Jul 2010, 18:59

Hi E^3,
I would be delighted if the A4tech cameras were natively (that is, with no software interpolation) capable of more than 2 mpx, but--correct me if I'm mistaken--I believe that what they claim as 5 megapixel cameras are actually 1.3 mpx natively. The Logitech QC Pro 9000 is supposed to be capable of 6 mpx, but that is with software interpolation. If anyone knows for sure that a higher native resolution is available in a webcam or that the A4techs really are 5mpx, I'd spring for one immediately (if the price were reasonable, of course). In the meantime, I'm investigating another possibility, since other 2mpx webcams do exist and might co-exist with the Logitech on the same computer. Thanks for keeping me informed.

E^3

Post by E^3 » 21 Jul 2010, 23:01

Hi SIr Pantagruel,

That is somewhat interesting too, soon ; I do believe
QC/webcam sould surpass that requirements >= 8mp (we'll see)

Please just post some progress here , and I would be one
of those excited to see that progress -webcam on Book scannning..

Thanks

E^3