Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Using Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Using Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000

Post by daniel_reetz » 15 Aug 2010, 17:03

You know, somehow I missed this thread. Looks like this 2mpx webcam would be suitable for digitizing novels for consumption on the Kindle and other lo-rez devices. Is it possible to hook up more than one of them to the computer at once? Some webcams, IIRC, have driver limitations like that.

Pantagruel

Post by Pantagruel » 15 Aug 2010, 17:52

daniel_reetz wrote:You know, somehow I missed this thread. Looks like this 2mpx webcam would be suitable for digitizing novels for consumption on the Kindle and other lo-rez devices. Is it possible to hook up more than one of them to the computer at once? Some webcams, IIRC, have driver limitations like that.
So far I haven't figured out a way to do it, but then again, I haven't put much effort into it either. The Logitech software won't recognize more than one camera at a time. Plugging in two cameras resulted in one of them being recognized but not the other. I thought about using a USB switch, but unplugging and replugging the camera resulted in a delay as the program sensed and reset the link to it, so I don't think that would be a satisfactory solution. E^3's links to some of the stereo projects look promising, but they are for far lower resolutions. I am not well enough versed in current programming techniques to write something myself, but I'm hoping that there is a reasonable way of doing this somewhere out there.
The 2 mpx resolution seems to be the highest available on webcams; those that claim higher are really listing their interpolated mpx values, not the native ones, unless I have missed something somewhere.
The page size of my sample is 8 1/2" x 5 1/2". I did try some A4-sized books, but as you surmise, the results weren't quite satisfactory, and interpolating up to 8 mpx doesn't solve the problem.
Still, if the two-camera triggering problem could be solved, this could result in a small unit suitable for scanning a majority of published books (I'm the director of a library, so I notice these things) that could be made to work with a netbook or laptop and put together in a very portable package.

Pantagruel

Post by Pantagruel » 16 Aug 2010, 01:46

It looks as though Windows 7 may be capable of running two usb webcams simultaneously. If so, that would solve the problem, though I doubt that it will be that simple. In the meantime Logitech is coming out with some new webcams this month, and they apparently sport higher resolutions, even if the C910, top of the new line, is mostly noteworthy for its 1080p video capability. The specs claim 10 mpx, but that is with interpolation. The native res seems to be 5 mpx, but it's not stated as such in the official description. Price is $99.

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 16 Aug 2010, 02:36

Interesting, but only just. I was pretty excited about UVC enabling many webcams to be used at once, but it looks like Logitech is breaking the standard with many of their webcams.

$99/webcam also seems expensive.

Even so, two tiny webcams plus a netbook running Linux would make a really neat scanner...

Pantagruel

Post by Pantagruel » 16 Aug 2010, 05:16

daniel_reetz wrote:Interesting, but only just. I was pretty excited about UVC enabling many webcams to be used at once, but it looks like Logitech is breaking the standard with many of their webcams.

$99/webcam also seems expensive.

Even so, two tiny webcams plus a netbook running Linux would make a really neat scanner...
It all depends on the USB PID number of the Pro 9000 you have, apparently; some of the older ones don't work with UVC. It's too soon to say about the C 910. I'll have to check the two Logitechs (9000s) I've got. There are some workarounds it seems, but the whole thing might be more trouble than it's worth:
http://www.quickcamteam.net/devices/log ... eature.pdf

E^3

Post by E^3 » 17 Aug 2010, 00:15

Hello Brothers,

How are you.

Yeah, as of my experience ,right now, it dont bother me much on how to trigger both cameras simultaneously
as there a lot of source code for free download .Either in Windows Visual C++/V6 or the OpenGL/linux there are available
codes for stereoscopic visions.The only thing I am waiting is the technology on how to surpass the resolutions capability
of a webcam (8mega pixels) together with its driver or released libraries.So , I still depend on the input source image and 2M
is not enough for my book scanning.

Thanks

E^3