Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Connecting Two Cameras to One Remote

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.
clemd973

Connecting Two Cameras to One Remote

Post by clemd973 » 20 Sep 2010, 21:40

Ok, so I'm about to begin building the "New Standard Scanner" and am currently gathering all the parts. I have purchased one Powershot A1000 and am anticipating getting the other this week. I am also in the process of ordering the Ricoh CA-1 Trigger switch, but one post said the Motorola Y-cable will not work with this switch. What to do??? Can you direct me to a standard work-around? Does anyone know what Reetz uses on his new laser-cut scanner? ... if not, what'd he use on the "New Standard Scanner" to get it to work. I'm only about three or four days from being ready to build. Can you help? :| (BTW, I do have a couple of friends who are electrical engineer / IT guys who can help me re-wire, build, or hack a switch, etc. Schematics would help though)

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Connecting Two Cameras to One Remote

Post by daniel_reetz » 20 Sep 2010, 22:04

There's a solution in the New Standard thread.

You may also find answers using a custom DIYBookScanner Google Search. I'm also certain that others here have other ideas.
Does anyone know what Reetz uses on his new laser-cut scanner?
The entire thing is documented in thread or in the files posted publicly in the news section. I don't have any secrets. :D

clemd973

Post by clemd973 » 20 Sep 2010, 23:42

I don't have any secrets. :D
Nah, didn't think you did...just didn't know where to look for the info. I remember seeing the laser cut scanner info somewhere - VERY cool by the way - but couldn't remember where. Thanks for the links; I'll study them and give it a shot.

Other ideas from others who overcame this problem would be greatly appreciated.

spamsickle

Post by spamsickle » 24 Sep 2010, 13:47

I just listed one of these switches for sale in the Agora section. I only have the one, though.

clemd973

Post by clemd973 » 04 Oct 2010, 10:32

FINALLY A SOLUTION!!! If you're looking for a reliable switch, with a Y-Splitter, and even wireless capability, look no further. While the "Reetz Switch" is ergonomically the best choice, a second to the "Reetz Switch" are these produced by Frans Van de Kamp. He is in the Netherlands so shipping to the U.S. may take a few days, but it's well worth it. I should receive mine in the mail by the end of the week. Will update this post after I receive it and get it working.

clemd973

Post by clemd973 » 27 Oct 2010, 21:26

clemd973 wrote:FINALLY A SOLUTION!!! If you're looking for a reliable switch, with a Y-Splitter, and even wireless capability, look no further. While the "Reetz Switch" is ergonomically the best choice, a second to the "Reetz Switch" are these produced by Frans Van de Kamp. He is in the Netherlands so shipping to the U.S. may take a few days, but it's well worth it. I should receive mine in the mail by the end of the week. Will update this post after I receive it and get it working.
Just connected my switch, and it works beautifully. His craftsmanship with small electronics is professional quality. I recommend this switch to everyone.

ceeann1
E-book readers owned: Several Palm PDA's
Number of books owned: 700

Post by ceeann1 » 17 Nov 2010, 22:04

I saw a little something that may also apply here. It is called the Camera Axe. It allows triggering multiple cameras and flashes. The device also allows a variety of triggering devices such as sound or light. The fellow who makes it also makes a variety of triggers. This is the link to the splitter he uses to go to multiple devices and it should have an embeded link for taking you to the primary site http://www.dreamingrobots.com/store/ind ... 417oq0sl76

I imagine two primary cameras/ scanners going off when the platen gets flat on the book. I imagine it triggering the lights to a nice bright illumination.
Well thats my 2 cents worth.
ceeann1

clemd973

Post by clemd973 » 17 Nov 2010, 22:56

ceeann1 wrote:I saw a little something that may also apply here. It is called the Camera Axe. It allows triggering multiple cameras and flashes. The device also allows a variety of triggering devices such as sound or light. The fellow who makes it also makes a variety of triggers. This is the link to the splitter he uses to go to multiple devices and it should have an embeded link for taking you to the primary site http://www.dreamingrobots.com/store/ind ... 417oq0sl76

I imagine two primary cameras/ scanners going off when the platen gets flat on the book. I imagine it triggering the lights to a nice bright illumination.
Well thats my 2 cents worth.
ceeann1
At $195, that's a little out of my budget. The idea sounds good, but the pricetag doesn't. The Van de Kamp switches are made to your desired specs and run you under $50, shipping included. Thanks for the info, though. Didn't know something like that existed.

ceeann1
E-book readers owned: Several Palm PDA's
Number of books owned: 700

Post by ceeann1 » 18 Nov 2010, 00:23

Yes the ready made module is $195.00 but the kit is $95.00. What sounded interesting is that this does not need a software fix like CHDK and somewhat broadens the list of possible cameras and allows automation for the triggering event. So I guess it depends on what y'all are doing with the cameras. If you have invested in one of those cameras that use CHDK then the Reetz Switch or the Van de Kamp switch sounds like a nice solution. Then again if you own another camera and just need to add another... this might be a welcome possibility. Many paths... one destination.

clemd973

Post by clemd973 » 18 Nov 2010, 00:31

ceeann1 wrote:Yes the ready made module is $195.00 but the kit is $95.00. What sounded interesting is that this does not need a software fix like CHDK and somewhat broadens the list of possible cameras and allows automation for the triggering event. So I guess it depends on what y'all are doing with the cameras. If you have invested in one of those cameras that use CHDK then the Reetz Switch or the Van de Kamp switch sounds like a nice solution. Then again if you own another camera and just need to add another... this might be a welcome possibility. Many paths... one destination.
Agreed. I like the idea that it may open up possibilities for use with other cameras, although my two Canon Powershot A480's seem to be doing the trick for my scanning. Thanks for the info.