Samsung S860 -- text mode?

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

DonnaA

Samsung S860 -- text mode?

Post by DonnaA »

Hello,
Has anyone here used the Samsung S860 camera to photograph book pages? One of the Instructables comments that I read said that this camera has a text mode that is useful. I will be trying out this camera to photograph handwritten (in blue or black ink) text on off-white paper. I just got the camera yesterday and, so far, I am not finding an obvious text mode in the documentation nor on the camera. The documentation does say that, in Manual model, I can set the white balance. I would like to learn what white balance setting will work best for my photography situation. I will have the flash from the camera and any optional lights I add to the rig.

Thanks,
DonnaA
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Samsung S860 -- text mode?

Post by daniel_reetz »

DonnaA,

I think all this "text mode" does is crank the contrast in camera. Trust me when I say you'll do better using Scan Tailor with an ordinary image.

There's a lot about this on the forums, but let me try to give you a very schematic feeling for the whole process:

1. Take a picture with the right exposure, white balance, and focus. (each of these settings is discussed in detail here, and other people can help answer, too)
2. Load this picture into Scan Tailor.
3. Process it and "binarize it" (that's "text mode" but in much, much higher quality).
4. Use a script like strider1551's or Misty's to bind it into an "eBook".

Depending on your project budget, you can do this with two kinds of cameras -- cheap compacts ($100-200) and/or Micro 4/3 cameras ($350-900). The materials you're interested in digitizing and your budget will determine the best way. You can most definitely do this DIY at a fraction of the cost of professional rigs. We can help you find the right settings and get set up.
Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Misty »

To follow up on Dan's suggestions - since you described doing purely textual records, Donna, I think a compact camera should be enough for your needs.
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
lexicographer

Post by lexicographer »

White balance is important because it improves the contrast, since (1) some books have whitish/yellowish pages, (2) external lights you are using will probably have a yellow tinge. I have not had good experiences with using the camera flash, since I got reflections which made part of the page unreadable. Dont know your specific camera, but usually one sets the white balance by finding an empty page in your book, pointing the camera to it and setting it. You will know you have the right white balance when the book appears white/grey on the screen at the back of the camera. However, ScanTailor is great at balancing pages with uneven illumination, so you would have to run some tests.