DSLR like cameras

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

russca
Number of books owned: 0

Re: DSLR like cameras

Post by russca »

ibr4him wrote:DSLRs are more convenient for this purpose (book scanning), you don't need to remove the base plate for changing batteries or downloading pics, but more importantly, you can do tethered shooting, live preview (on a PC) and build all sorts of cool customs apps using the Canon SDK. Therefore, I purchased 2 Canon 550Ds and I'm really satisfied now!
In a v-shaped book scanning environment I don't see value in tethered shooting unless 2 cameras can be controlled by a single pc as DSLR Remote Pro Multi-Camera by BreezeSystems does. It's more convenient to use a remote trigger and later batch transfer images to pc, imho. Power adapter solves the other problem.
will1384

Post by will1384 »

ibr4him wrote: DSLRs are more convenient for this purpose (book scanning), you don't need to remove the base plate for changing batteries or downloading pics, but more importantly, you can do tethered shooting, live preview (on a PC) and build all sorts of cool customs apps using the Canon SDK. Therefore, I purchased 2 Canon 550Ds and I'm really satisfied now!
I solved the battery problem by using USB to power the cameras, I "kinda" fixed the memory card problem
by modding the camera to allow easy removal of the SDHC card with out having to move the camera, and
use cameras built in video out for preview using an old LCD TV and a video switch to switch between
cameras, works well

Added Dec 22 2010, Oops

My cameras are powered by "batteries" and two "Wall Power Adapters", I had posted
above that I was powering them buy USB, I was thinking that it would work by USB
alone, and I had tested that by unplugging one of the power adapters and the camera
still worked, and it did still work because it had the batteries to fall back on, I had
forgot that I put batteries back in the camera because sometimes I would move the
camera or move the wires a tad, and the cheap "Wall Power Adapters" would lose
contact, and the cameras would shut off, :oops: when you think about it, when using the
USB shutter release, if the camera was powered by USB, the camera would turn OFF / ON
every time you used the USB shutter release :oops: LOL

The cheap eBay "Wall Power Adapters" seem to have loose fitting power tips.
Last edited by will1384 on 22 Dec 2010, 06:58, edited 1 time in total.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

That's still probably my favorite mod from this whole forum. So genius to cut a slot for the memory cards.

I just saw that the EP-1 is going for $350 http://dealnews.com/Refurbished-Olympus ... 17156.html

I personally like buying refurbished gear; it's been through factory QC twice. Many of my electronics are refurbished and even as an abusive user I've had no problems.
E^3

Post by E^3 »

ibr4him wrote:I made the mistake of buying a "DSLR-Like" camera (Canon G12), while the picture quality is indeed DSLR-Like but thats not everything.

DSLRs are more convenient for this purpose (book scanning), you don't need to remove the base plate for changing batteries or downloading pics, but more importantly, you can do tethered shooting, live preview (on a PC) and build all sorts of cool customs apps using the Canon SDK. Therefore, I purchased 2 Canon 550Ds and I'm really satisfied now!

Hi Sir ibr4him,

Do you have some reference using Canon SDK into VB (6 or net)?

We have purchased two Canon G11 and I am modifying now the Decapod camera setting?
But I would be glad if you could me a test of yours in Canon SDK (sp in VB)

Thanks

E^3

Philippines
ibr4him

Post by ibr4him »

Unfortunately, G11 (G12 and all newer PowerShots) are not supported anymore. See: https://www.didp.canon-europa.com/devel ... endocument
E^3

Post by E^3 »

ibr4him wrote:Unfortunately, G11 (G12 and all newer PowerShots) are not supported anymore. See: https://www.didp.canon-europa.com/devel ... endocument

Hi Sir ibr4him,

I think it can be tweak from the last version of PR Canon SDK (version e)
though they will not support it anymore; this is not much different from G10.
I don't know what is the rational reason of Canon why doing so.

I am trying to tweak this , though gPhoto2 supports G11-hope I can decode it in windows(a monster task!)
but I know it could be easy if there is a solutions for a Canon SDK (latest power shot)

But if you have any suggestion to make this idea possible - I appreciate it well.
Thanks

E^3
Philippines
russca

Post by russca »

E^3 wrote:I am trying to tweak this , though gPhoto2 supports G11-hope I can decode it in windows(a monster task!)
I imagine you could run gPhoto2 on Windows OS using Portable Ubuntu for Windows or similar.
E^3

Post by E^3 »

russca wrote:
E^3 wrote:I am trying to tweak this , though gPhoto2 supports G11-hope I can decode it in windows(a monster task!)
I imagine you can run gPhoto2 on Windos OS using Portable Ubuntu for Windows or similar.

Hi Sir russca,

That could be fine, but I have 2 different tasks:

1) Windows
Canon CSDK
-DLL in VC++ portable in VB6
Windows Image editor (Vb6) there are a lot of free code
OCR engine for windows -for free
Note :
Image editor in windows are much easy to program than what are available in opensource
As I was trying to enhance the code already develop by Canon-but to my dismay they dont
want powershot to take over DSLR (G10 --> 14.7MP to G11-->10 MP???????)..oh my business

Here is my work flow.
Capture camera -Canon SDK
Process-Vb6 image editor
AUto line edge cropping (VB6 is easy for me to do that)
OCR-OCR for windows
Robotize...

2) Linux :
Decapod (does it all -only that I am now porting it in G11)
Gambas Vb6 for Linux

or Phthon lib for USB
Robotize...

What I want is a single work flow....

Hope any idea out there...

Thanks

E^3
Philippines
Gothiczartan84
Number of books owned: 800

Post by Gothiczartan84 »

I need to figure out how to get them installed on a DIY book scanner and how to get them to work by one click to take pictures of a every page with two cameras at the same time.
bailey

Post by bailey »

Daniel,

How about using an IT8 target for this purpose? For my 60K page scanning project I used an IT8 target to color correct the lighting system and it might work for this purpose too...

Kirk Bailey
daniel_reetz wrote:I have access to many dozens of cameras. What we really need is a standardized test page so we can all compare. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make such a thing? I'm considering making a Print On Demand book, but I could just as well print a huge number of test pages and ship them worldwide. That way we could standardize on camera performance for book scanning purposes.