Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Has anyone looked at gPhoto2?

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.
Anonymous1

Has anyone looked at gPhoto2?

Post by Anonymous1 » 20 Dec 2010, 11:40

I just found out about gPhoto2, and I am extremely impressed. I plugged in my camera, ran:

Code: Select all

gphoto2 --capture-image-and-download
and it spit out capture 0001.jpg inside of my Home directory.

I can see this to be extremely useful, since it has an option to do this without a card in the camera (straight from RAM to PC). Has anyone played with this thing yet? I'm just exploding with ideas, one of which is setting up a cruddy webcam for motion tracking (my Canon 550D can't run CHDK).

I've managed to set up a basic motion detection script with Python and OpenCV, so I'm aiming at fully automatic scanning (well, I'll still be turning pages). I'll post it when it works quite well.

ceeann1
E-book readers owned: Several Palm PDA's
Number of books owned: 700

Re: Has anyone looked at gPhoto2?

Post by ceeann1 » 21 Dec 2010, 01:19

Actually I was trying on Saturday to get it down loaded and up and running to try on my current digital camera. A Kodak digital... a gift. I wondered what I could get it to do. It looked very impressive to me. How did you go about down loading... or perhaps where did you download from. I was having significant troubles unpacking the download. Did you use any particular program to get it decoded? Thanks for sharing. Glad someone else is interested too. I heard the program was slow on this forum but no real conclusive review.

Anonymous1

Post by Anonymous1 » 21 Dec 2010, 15:29

What do you mean by "unpacking"? It's a just a normal tarball, so it can be uncompressed with just

Code: Select all

tar -xf file.tar.bz2
Also, what operating system are you working with? It's not for Windows, but it works on everything else, including Mac OS X. About the speed, it's not up to the computer. It interfaces with the camera directly via the USB connection, so it's probably the camera's fault. Basically, it presses the buttons remotely.

I downloaded it from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gphoto/ ... 10.tar.bz2. Also, just an FYI, it's probably not going to work with your Kodak. The only Kodak model even listed is the EasyShare, and that camera can't be interfaced via the USB at all. Here's the full list of cameras (Canons work the best as far as I can tell): http://www.gphoto.org/doc/remote/

Good luck (I'd try a different camera. If you happen to have a Canon, it probably would work).

ceeann1
E-book readers owned: Several Palm PDA's
Number of books owned: 700

Post by ceeann1 » 22 Dec 2010, 15:24

Operating system is no doubt the cause. I have been dodging the linux bullet a long time now. Perhaps ubuntu or some such in the future will work for me. It explains why I could not unpack the file. I could swear, I saw the darn page I downloaded from said windows... sigh...

As for cameras I used the list at http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php for gPhoto2 and not the one listed for gphoto. I did make the assumption that if they where in the list they where supported. It does NOT come as a surprise that "supported" is different for various cameras. It does list a considerable number of Kodak cameras. Personally I prefer Pentax but I have no digital Pentax as of yet.

(edit)
Oops.... I see the remote capture doc is for gPhoto2... its what I get for doing this stuff in minutes between other things... so my digital will no doubt no work with this system. Hmm... distressing... ah well... thanks for the info.

ldolse

Post by ldolse » 23 Dec 2010, 15:02

I've just been getting ready to dig into this myself, will be installing it into my Linux VM shortly.

Have you seen Translucent's build which uses Gphoto?:
http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... ?f=1&t=495

I don't believe the perl-gtk app he mentions scripting is readily available though. There is also another program called gtkam, not sure if that will let you control two cameras simultaneously.

Anonymous1

Post by Anonymous1 » 23 Dec 2010, 15:30

Sweet build. It looks insanely professional, unlike my single-camera shelf design.

As for the software, I'll look around for something. I'm actually working on a Python script which automagically names pages when you turn them. It uses OpenCV to detect page turns through a webcam, and then increments or decrements the page number accordingly. It's pretty rough, as I'm still looking more into Optical Flow, but it's getting there.

As for the programs, the second one looks like it can work with two cameras. I only have one to test with, so you can't trust what I say ;)
ceeann1 wrote:Operating system is no doubt the cause. I have been dodging the linux bullet a long time now. Perhaps ubuntu or some such in the future will work for me. It explains why I could not unpack the file. I could swear, I saw the darn page I downloaded from said windows... sigh...

As for cameras I used the list at http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php for gPhoto2 and not the one listed for gphoto. I did make the assumption that if they where in the list they where supported. It does NOT come as a surprise that "supported" is different for various cameras. It does list a considerable number of Kodak cameras. Personally I prefer Pentax but I have no digital Pentax as of yet.

(edit)
Oops.... I see the remote capture doc is for gPhoto2... its what I get for doing this stuff in minutes between other things... so my digital will no doubt no work with this system. Hmm... distressing... ah well... thanks for the info.
You could run Ubuntu in a Virtual Machine within Windows, although it will run a bit slowly. I run Windows in a VM from Ubuntu, so it's not too hard.
I've also heard good things about Pentax, but I have only a single Canon, so I can't say much.

Even if your camera isn't listed, it could still work. That list is updated by people who tested theirs, so if nobody has tried it, it won't be there. Good luck!