Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

CHDK/SDM Remote button/settings autostart

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.
ldolse

CHDK/SDM Remote button/settings autostart

Post by ldolse » 29 Dec 2010, 11:23

I'm thinking this should already be covered somewhere, but I've done a bunch of Googling on this site and CHDK's and can't find the information I need.

I've got a pair of Canon A480s. I've got CHDK installed/autobooting, using Spamsickle's grid, and using the the remote button script that's in the script examples directory. Right now I'm manually starting the remote button script. Running everything manually everything works great so far - still need to investigate perfect focus/shutter settings for s_fast, but that's for another day.

I want to make this brain dead for the rest of my family so they can just turn on the cameras and go. I tried adding the lines from the Remote button script to the default.bas script and enabled autostart, but this seems to run radically differently from manually loading the remote button software. It seems to run the 'default' script a set number of times at startup, and while it's running I can't access the rest of the CHDK menu system (and it also uses up screen real-estate with it's default message). Aside from that it doesn't actually work - it doesn't seem to put the camera in a mode that actually acknowledges the voltage that's applied from the USB trigger.

The feature I attempted to use in CHDK is called autostart. That word doesn't seem to exist in these forums, which leads me to believe that maybe I'm doing this the wrong way. I don't know if SDM is the solution I need to check out - the only SDM vs. CHDK discussion mentions that SDM is used for the 5v USB trigger, but CHDK satisfies this function as well, so I'm still confused as to what the additional advantages are provided by SDM.

I've seen in some of the Youtube videos that other users are able to get autostart/autorun going with the grid, remote button setup, s_fast, etc. Just need someone to point me in the right direction.

ldolse

Re: CHDK/SDM Remote button/settings autostart

Post by ldolse » 29 Dec 2010, 11:49

Looks like this was more or less user error. Autostart uses the last run script. I had just re-installed CHDK on my card when I tried it, and I thought default.bas was the script that was always used when Autostart was enabled. I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think that's the case. It looks to me autostart automatically runs whatever the configured script is, and that script is saved across restarts.

Figured this out partially because of this link:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:FAQ

If you look at the messages displayed using 'default.bas' in the description there that's exactly what I was seeing. The strange thing seems to be that that code is hardcoded within CHDK somewhere - my default.bas was empty, so I didn't realize that the intent of those messages was a placeholder for first time users. The other reason was that when I tried it on the second camera that wasn't freshly installed it worked immediately.

One tip for new CHDK/a480 users - don't try to delete your pictures by formatting your card in-camera. CHDK can't protect itself and will be erased. Instead use the CHDK file browser under the miscellaneous menu. Using the file browser you can delete files or directory contents. While the CHDK wiki says the trash button is the delete button, this is not true on the a480. Use the 'play' button within the file browser to delete stuff.

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: CHDK/SDM Remote button/settings autostart

Post by daniel_reetz » 30 Dec 2010, 21:46

Thanks for coming back with the solution to the problem. This writeup will definitely be useful to all the A480 users we have here.